Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought a 1972 Mach 1!!

Silver Award 

Bought a 1972 Mach 1!!

Well Ive been dieing to find one and I finally did! Just bought a 100% original condition Mach 1 from Sacramento California its very cool! Cant hardly contain my excitement.

Car needs some attention as it was sitting for 7 years in a garage. This car also has been owned by the same family since 1984! It even included the original sales contract from its initial sale, included all documentation since new!

Is is in excellent rust free condition.

One question I needed to ask though. This car runs very good, but one thing perplexing me is in the trunk there was a led additive that the lady says they need to add to the gas. I'm absolutely clueless about this. Will I need to add this LEAD fuel additive? What if I don't. Guess I'm a little clueless about this since Ive never added anything like this to any car Ive ever owned, including my 1970 Mustang Grande I once owned in the late 80's early 90's.

I really would appreciate some direction here, the car needs gas and I'm afraid to add anything to mess this up. Bought the car yesterday in Sacramento and then drove to Las Vegas to see a buddy. Trailered the car to get it here! Couldnt buy a car site unseen, drove 14 hours from Phoenix to Sacramento to be sure this car was absolutely what it claimed to be. Im stoked, to me this car is a true barn find Vin # 2F05H137641

Anyone tell me anything about it with the vin # other than what I already know?
    Year: 2 1972
    Plant: F Dearborn, MI
    Body Series: 05 SportsRoof, Mach 1
    Engine: H 351 2v V8
    Unit: 137641 137641

This also has an FMX transmission is that significant.

How can I find out a little more about this Mustang

Sales slip say sold with:

AC - Radio - Power Steering - Power Brakes - Auto Transmission.
    Car sold April 24th 1972 at 4:58 pm.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JoeT; 08-07-09 at 05:49 PM.

congrats dude thats freakin awesome how much did u end up pickin it up for if you dont mind me askin?

Silver Award 
    Thanks man! 7400.00 I would have paid more, the guy was offered over the phone 8500 while I was there, but he let me have it since I drove so far. Finding one in this condition is unbelievable, believe me I been looking for 2 years. They are either fully restored and expensive or totally rusted out.

Paint is definitely done on this car, its very flat but original!

Engine needs some love but again its original and unmolested.

Interior is white but I may switch that to black, depends how hard it is to get original stuff in white.

Hasn't been plated since 2004.

Steering feels really easy, not sure if that's normal or if Im just used to todays cars.

Wow, you practically stole it! Thata boy

Very Nice Joe.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Platinum Award 
    Congrats on being a stang owner again ! Lead additive is used as a lubricant on the the older cars. Newer cars had hardened valves and seats when unleaded came about. To be safe, hard to say, about 50/50 yes an no. If yer gonna keep it , restore it ,put some money in to it, then change out to hardened seats etc.. If not then, add the additive.

Congratulations Joe!

There is nothing special about the FMX transmission, my '72 coupe has one. Ford originally built FMX's during the late 50's early 60's, but brought them back for the 351's. They are a little funny shifting but B&M has a shift kit for them that will smooth things out.

Are you going to replace the wheels with Magnum 500's, or Ford Corporate wheels?

Silver Award 
    Very nice find there Joe, glad you held out for something you don't have to build from the ground up. I will have to disagree with the before mention shifter as I believe you will enjoy it more keeping it stock, and it sure won't hurt the value either. Congrats again, I'll let you know when I find my 71. btw, did you see the original Mach 1 rims listed on Craig's list a couple of days ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Rev'n Kevin View Post
    btw, did you see the original Mach 1 rims listed on Craig's list a couple of days ago?
    Hey.............I have a set of those wheels on a 62 Ford Van at home!
    WILD BILL
    PRO-AMERICAN

TorchRed 2003 MACH1 (Louise)
    "I remember my fallen brothers so that they may live on."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

CORNgrats Joe!!!!!!!!!!!
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET FIND!!!!!!!!!
    WILD BILL
    PRO-AMERICAN

TorchRed 2003 MACH1 (Louise)
    "I remember my fallen brothers so that they may live on."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ