Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 09 GT500 motor and tranny

09 GT500 motor and tranny

Ok Stang fans here is a question for ya. I have an opportunity to purchase a 09 GT500 motor and trans that came from a guy who wrecked his ride. Motor runs great and compression tests were outstanding. Now the question is will this baby bolt up to a 2003 GT without a lot of fabrication work????

Thx

A320PYLT

Silver Award 
    Plan to spend some money, you'll need a custom drive shaft and a different rear end, beef up of the front suspension to handle the weight of the engine. BTW: is this the GT500 that got wrecked near Bell and 83rd last night?

A320 wants to start a mid 9's race car project. I told him to start with an 03/04 cobra. Solid Axle, Auto, Weight Reduction = Goal. Oh yea and add alot of money.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Silver Award 
    Main piece of advice I can give is "Don't get in over your head or pocket book". Kinda why I gave up the 10sec Foxbody. The new stroker stang I just bought, same thing $$$, just spent $2500 at PSR, to switch over from 7.5 rear end to a new 8.8, new upper and lower control arms, rear calipers, new x-pipe cat back exhaust system. (By the way all the gang over at PSR are great, good people, thanks to all here on HPS who recommended them to me.)

Quote Originally Posted by A320PYLT View Post
    Ok Stang fans here is a question for ya. I have an opportunity to purchase a 09 GT500 motor and trans that came from a guy who wrecked his ride. Motor runs great and compression tests were outstanding. Now the question is will this baby bolt up to a 2003 GT without a lot of fabrication work????

Thx

A320PYLT
    It could be done, but off the top of my head, here's quik list of what it would take to do it.
    Custom wiring harness. ........03-04 Cobra as a starting point harness and computer
    Replace the FBW throttlebody with a mechanical one and a custom throttle cable. A custom space MAY be needed to mount a mech TB

Adapt the hydraulic clutch and silly shifter or swap in an earlier t56.........if you use a t56 with a twin disc clutch set up, ya don't need a custom driveshaft. or a custom tranny mount.........just stock 03-04 stuff

Larger Radiator

Custom hood

front springs

03-04 Cobra tank with upgraded pumps or a custom tank

That all the large stuff............depends if you're getting the heat exchager and pump also...ect

It would be an interesting project.
    WILD BILL
    PRO-AMERICAN

TorchRed 2003 MACH1 (Louise)
    "I remember my fallen brothers so that they may live on."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Rev'n Kevin View Post
    Plan to spend some money, you'll need a custom drive shaft and a different rear end, beef up of the front suspension to handle the weight of the engine. BTW: is this the GT500 that got wrecked near Bell and 83rd last night?
    I forgot that most of you are in AZ. No this car is on OHIO and had less than 5k on it before it was totalled. But if there is one closer????

A320PYLT

Quote Originally Posted by BurnTire View Post
    A320 wants to start a mid 9's race car project. I told him to start with an 03/04 cobra. Solid Axle, Auto, Weight Reduction = Goal. Oh yea and add alot of money.
    I want to do some work though man as I told you last time we spoke on the phone. I have the GT and I have access to a couple of 04 cobra motors and tranny with all the cpu's and harnesses which is plug and play with the 4.6L GT's

A320PYLT

Quote Originally Posted by WildBill@PSR View Post
    It could be done, but off the top of my head, here's quik list of what it would take to do it.
    Custom wiring harness. ........03-04 Cobra as a starting point harness and computer
    Replace the FBW throttlebody with a mechanical one and a custom throttle cable. A custom space MAY be needed to mount a mech TB

Adapt the hydraulic clutch and silly shifter or swap in an earlier t56.........if you use a t56 with a twin disc clutch set up, ya don't need a custom driveshaft. or a custom tranny mount.........just stock 03-04 stuff

Larger Radiator

Custom hood

front springs

03-04 Cobra tank with upgraded pumps or a custom tank

That all the large stuff............depends if you're getting the heat exchager and pump also...ect

It would be an interesting project.
    Now you hit the nail on the damn head with that funny tranny! I thought about the T56 but wasnt sure if it would bolt right up!!! Custom hood huh, why do you think that?? I was of the impression that it would fit under the the hood just fine. I know the suspension will need to be beefed up and I can do just about all of the work except fabricating!!

A320PYLT

A320PYLT

Quote Originally Posted by A320PYLT View Post
    Now you hit the nail on the damn head with that funny tranny! I thought about the T56 but wasnt sure if it would bolt right up!!! Custom hood huh, why do you think that?? I was of the impression that it would fit under the the hood just fine. I know the suspension will need to be beefed up and I can do just about all of the work except fabricating!!

A320PYLT

A320PYLT
    Because it's a 5.4 and it naturally sits up higher. Don't do the spacer bit on the k-member either. It changes the front suspension geometry.
    WILD BILL
    PRO-AMERICAN

TorchRed 2003 MACH1 (Louise)
    "I remember my fallen brothers so that they may live on."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by WildBill@PSR View Post
    Because it's a 5.4 and it naturally sits up higher. Don't do the spacer bit on the k-member either. It changes the front suspension geometry.
    Ahhh damn!!!! I had a feeling you were going to say that...

A320PYLT