Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 16 Inch Rims

You ran the 26 x 11.5 x 16 Et Streets with no rub issues on the IRS bolts?
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Yup. To be honest, I had shaved my IRS bolt, but that was to fit 315 BFG DR's on 10.5 wheels.

Running the ET Streets was never an issue regardless, because of the narrow rim. It also seems the bias-ply tires run a bit smaller than advertised.

For example, Tetge went out and got a pair of AFS 10.5 wide replica 17" wheels to mount some 11" wide ET Streets on, and the tires were waaay too narrow. Went back and mounted them on the factory 9"s and they were just about right. But, an 8" gives it just enough sidewall bubble and seems to put the whole contact patch on the ground evenly when aired down.

Quote Originally Posted by BoneCrusher View Post
    I gotta tell you my pony rims with 26 X 11.5 X 16" ET streets do the job for me and they are cheap. Got mine from some nerd in Pittsburgh for $200 rims and almost new tires. Bolt 'em on for the track and you're good to go. May not be the prettiest wheels in the world but you can't beat the price for the exact same performance.
    Are the pony rims 8 or 9 inches wide?
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Factory Ford "Pony" wheels are 16x7. Those are typically 4-lug fox body wheels, so I'm not sure which wheel BoneCrusher is referring to.

As a general rule, the V-8 Fox body cars had 7" wide wheels, the early Cobra's and SN95 GT's had 8" wide wheels, and the Terminators had 9" wide wheels.

ohh so now you are giving away my set of rims?

J/K.

The rims that Jay is talking about are from summit. They are steel and not light... not sure what Jay be drinking... you can bet it isnt good for you.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

hopefully that URL works.

cheap...but heavy.

11.5 works...they bulge a bit more then a 10.5.

Anything under a 17" rim, a 9 or 10" rim would be better for 11.5 wide tires, but they still work well.

Careful with Diamond Racing Rims...not sure what happened with my friends set. The Joe Lynch Special was strange since the valve was inside the rim and made it a PITA to check tire pressure.

Seen others with the valve stem in the right location, go figure I guess...but they be some light rims.

No I am going to get a set that is a little wider.
    8" seems a little to narrow with 26x11.5x16 ET Streets.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

you know, with ur whipple a 17" being taller then ur normal tire wont hurt you...IMHO.

that is if you already have a set of rims laying around...and you'd look stock doing it

I have a spare set of stock wheels, but the 17's are too tall IMO.
    If I had gears I would use them.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

For me personally...it is a bit hard to judge.

I ran 2 sets of 15", 16" and then just settled for the 17" ET Street for the Mach1. The 60's were pretty much the same, but it only slowed me down by a few hundred...not tenths. Yes, it did hurt my rpm range as I would of preffered to be at 6200rpms VS 6000rpms that the other sized rims offered...ET Wise, it wasnt all that off.

As with the Terminator, the 17" my stock Termee went through the traps without getting into 4th where as with the stock tires, id bounced right off the limiter a few feet away from the finish line.

How much HP are you putting down and do you still have the stock gears?

Till now, my 112mph @ LACR with the 17" ET Street remains as fast as my DR's MPH....but the ET Street has the faster ET.