Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ticking from the Transmission

Check engine light came on again this morning(usually front o2 is lean) and it has not been starting "nicely" lately. Takes an extra crank or two for it to start. Think this could be related?
    04 Screaming Yellow Cobra 463rwhp/456tq
    74 Bronco 302/C4

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Check engine light came on again this morning(usually front o2 is lean) and it has not been starting "nicely" lately. Takes an extra crank or two for it to start. Think this could be related?
    Ummmmm........It COULD.............especially if you've just been clearing the codes. They are there for a reason.
    WILD BILL
    PRO-AMERICAN

TorchRed 2003 MACH1 (Louise)
    "I remember my fallen brothers so that they may live on."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wouldnt that be plug or maybe oil(startup) related? I was throwing the same code when I bought the car and it had the BBK fenderwell CAI and put the JLT on it and it seemed to clear itself. That was almost 4 months ago and this week the CEL light has come back on twice now throwing this same code. Sniffer on the dyno read around 11.8 at WOT.

Didnt get a chance to check the other plugs but I will tonight. Also reading that the drivers side manifold might need a 2.25 reducer to hook up an aftermarket X pipe. A lot of guys get exhaust leaks there...So much to check and only so much light during the day...Wish PSR was in Tucson :) Even Ford wont diagnose it, they just want me to spend $1500 for some new heads

You guys recommend any shops down here to check this out for me?
    74 Bronco 302/C4

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Wouldnt that be plug or maybe oil(startup) related? I was throwing the same code when I bought the car and it had the BBK fenderwell CAI and put the JLT on it and it seemed to clear itself. That was almost 4 months ago and this week the CEL light has come back on twice now throwing this same code. Sniffer on the dyno read around 11.8 at WOT.

Didnt get a chance to check the other plugs but I will tonight. Also reading that the drivers side manifold might need a 2.25 reducer to hook up an aftermarket X pipe. A lot of guys get exhaust leaks there...So much to check and only so much light during the day...Wish PSR was in Tucson :) Even Ford wont diagnose it, they just want me to spend $1500 for some new heads

You guys recommend any shops down here to check this out for me?
    Not any down there.
    Why don't you do this. You cover my fuel expenses and I'll come and get the car and bring it to the shop. We can put it on the dyno, data log off the computer, and/or put it on Dan's WDS machine. We'll get it diagnosed and you'll know where you stand. I just don't want you to keep driving it and cause the problem to get worse or blow an engine.
    WILD BILL
    PRO-AMERICAN

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Waiting on my wideband to come back from Speedhut for the WOT capability. Should have it this week so I can do all that on my laptop. I still need to check plugs, oil, exhaust again and see if I still cant figure this out. Hopefully the man the myth the legend lucafu1 will have some free time too. Always finds the problems! If not Ill tow it up to you guys. Not getting into boost right now at all....sucks

Pathetic we have over a million people down here and no reputable tuner shop.
    74 Bronco 302/C4

Good deal. Just stay outta it until you find out WTF.
    WILD BILL
    PRO-AMERICAN

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ya I am. Took the RP out and put some Mobil 5w30 in. I thought the ticking went away but 20 seconds later I could hear it again. It does idle smoother though. Had them look up the CEL and it was the same P2270. Would it be a good idea to run some octane booster until then or will that not help?

Would a leakdown/compression test be beneficial in this case? Obviously doing that instead of tearing it apart?

Gonna try this first. It just sounds too tinny to be valvetrain to me:

Quote Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
    just sent this exact message to your PM as well. I figure this will hopefully help someone else too...so here is a quick picture and explination:

All the reducer is is a new end piece that fits inside that socket on the X pipe. Go to a muffler shop and have them take a 2 1/4" scrap piece of pipe and make a new socket that will fit INSIDE that 2 1/2 inch socket on the X. It's basically a small flare. When you put it in, use some copper (high temp) sensor safe RTV on the inside of the X socket as well as on the inside of the new tiny socket. The X won't seal without the RTV. You will still have a tiny barely audible leak without it. Here is a quick picture I just drew. Hopefully it will help out :beer:

74 Bronco 302/C4

I have the pipe reducer on my drivers side pipe also.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5