Thread: water pump question

Hybrid View

water pump question

just changed my water pump and thermostat and replaced electric fan....now either my temp gauge doesnt work or something is wrong....hand never moves above 130 degrees...and also if anyone knows much about electric fans but i cant get mine to shut off...its runs all the time...got it wired just like it says and i dont want to use a manual switch any suggestions?

im in the same boat. i have just redone all my thermo and water. found out the hard way that chrome doesnt seal right. i have a chrome thermo and no one told me they are crap. and i think u have to give the water pump some water pump lube. or break it in. mine was slo at first and the temp was high now its runnin much better. not sure it helped but...

i had bought a new thermo stat once, died in 6 mos... then when i put in the new one i had a COMPLETE blonde moment and put the thing in backwards (dumb!) once i fliped it, it was fine. i installed a water pump and never put in water pump lube.

For the fan, you might need to see how you have it wired. it sounds like its on an "always hot" wire. now for the gauge..... not too sure. there has got to be a way to test that.

thermostat

just making sure though but doesnt the spring end go toward the block of the car?

I think so. I try and pay more attention on how i take it out. i am still considered a rookie in this rodeo.

Quote Originally Posted by 1966PonyGirl View Post
    i had bought a new thermo stat once, died in 6 mos... then when i put in the new one i had a COMPLETE blonde moment and put the thing in backwards (dumb!) once i fliped it, it was fine. i installed a water pump and never put in water pump lube.

For the fan, you might need to see how you have it wired. it sounds like its on an "always hot" wire. now for the gauge..... not too sure. there has got to be a way to test that.
    Everyone has those moments.

-89,000 original miles
    - BBK 1 5/8 unequal shorty headers
    -2.5 inch offroad x-pipes w/ 2 chamber flowmasters
    -K&N panel filter, air silencer delete
    -Pro-M 75mm mass air sensor, calibrated for stock injectors
    -65mm Throttle Body and EGR spacer
    -96' Explorer GT-40 intake manifold
    -Explorer 19# injectors
    -Taylor 8.2mm Thunder Volt ignition wires
    -MSD cap and rotor
    -underdrive crank pulley
    -130 amp 3g alternator
    -Smog pump deleted
    -Original 3.27L gears

yes the spring goes into the manifold and the arrow tip goes out towards the front. What measures the head is the copper peice inside the spring and when it get to the marked temperature I.E. mine is a 190* thermo. when it gets to that temp it opens up. when it open the "Cooler" water from the radiator comes gushing into the block and replaces the hot water. that why on old car if you watch the temp it will get really hot and then dip back down. (maybe not all cars but mine does.)