1990 Mustang GT RealSpeed - Research And Destroy

Dan Carlson Uses His 240,000-Mile '90 Mustang GT For Research And Development, And Destroys The Competition With His Daily Driver.Once the combination was in place, it was time to put a tune in the car. This would be the key to its performance as a daily driver. Dan strapped his Stang to the Mustang Dyno at Realspeed and set his baseline. To keep the fuel under control, a 255-gph high-pressure, in-tank, fuel pump, along with a T-rex in-line pump feeds fuel through the stock lines to a set of 60 pound injectors. A Crane Hi-6R ignition box supplies spark to the NGK plugs via a stock distributor and Moroso wires. The final result of Dan's street tune is 525 hp at the rear hides. With racing on the brain, he headed to the dragstrip to see just how well his new combination would perform. After a few warm up passes, Dan launched his R&D rocket to a best elapsed time of 10.46-seconds at 132 mph. This is pretty impressive considering the car was driven to and from the track and gets 17 mpg. "I could easily make it a 9-second car," Dan tells us. "It's a street car, I drive it everywhere. I don't see the point in cutting it up or making it a trailer queen. I have too much fun driving it."

Photo Gallery: 1990 Mustang GT RealSpeed - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

Photo Gallery: 1990 Mustang GT RealSpeed - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

Read More | Digg It | Add to del.icio.us

Complete Story...