Thread: Idle problem

Idle problem

Hey guys,

I know this is a noobie question but its bothering me and I've read quite a few different ways to solve the issue. My idle sits anywhere from 950 to 1050 RPMs and I know that its just not where its supposed to be. I'd like it to be 750-800. Timing is set to 14 degrees, IAC is brand new and TPS voltage is set to .97-.99 volts. I've heard you can just disconnect the IAC but does that create issues? Also I've heard about messing with the idle screw underneath the throttle body. Just not sure where to go with this one. Help please!
    1988 GT (BBK 1 5/8th ceramic shorties, BBK O/R X Pipe, SLP LM1 Catback, MSD Blaster Coil II, MSD Pro Billet Distributor, K&N Panel Filter, Weight Reduction, MT ET Streets )

Id go the idle screw way, raising the timing also raises your idle.
    04' F150 Supercrew

x2 on idle screw

93 FOX

And that basically is...
    Adjust idle screw?
    Listen to motor?
    Set TPS?
    Profit!

Or am I wrong?
    1988 GT (BBK 1 5/8th ceramic shorties, BBK O/R X Pipe, SLP LM1 Catback, MSD Blaster Coil II, MSD Pro Billet Distributor, K&N Panel Filter, Weight Reduction, MT ET Streets )

wizwrath
    Reset the idle screw, disconnect the IAC valve, reset the TPS, reconnect IAC, recheck timing, disconnect battery for at least 5 minutes, and test drive for at least 30 minutes (computer needs to relearn) on street and freeway. Is the IAC valve clean/good? You may want to clean it out first.

Thanks for that, and my initial post said the IAC was brand new.

I have never touched touched my TPS on either my old 95 or the fox. The computer should tale care of that.
    04' F150 Supercrew

wizwrath
    88GT,
    Sorry I missed the new IAC part, sometimes they still are sticky when new, but go through everything again.
    Punisher,
    The computor only reads the signal from the TPS, not compensate for it, all TPS (stock or not) should be manually adjusted (for best performance).

Alright, I'll give it a shot, as always, I appreciate the info and thanks all.