Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knocking Lifter

Hybrid View

Knocking Lifter

I have a really bad lifter and surprised it hasn't snapped yet.
    Anyone know a good cheap motor rebuild?
    What to look for?
    any advice?

in need of one. Afraid of driving and it popping on me.
    Last edited by Mr. Austin; 03-01-09 at 10:06 PM.

I take it, that the "motor" is not blowing blue smoke out the exhaust, or is using oil, or broke a spring, or has a flat lobe on the cam, or? If not and you're reasonably sure it's a lifter and it's bad...really bad and you tried all the other "tricks" (i.e.: lifter supplements from an auto parts store)...Then why not pull the valve covers, back the rocker arms off, pull the push rods, pull the intake and replace the lifters (all of them)? Be sure to lube the new lifters, put it all back together and let her rip. It's not a "big job" or really that big of a deal! Of course this is all sight un-seen, but don't try to make lemonade from lemons if it's not hot outside. Good Luck!

hmm. ok well i have never done lifters and my and my father got into a huge argument about them and he was telling me i should just go buy a new motor becasue thats a hard thing to fix. and yes the motor is blowing smoke on start up untill she warms up a little bit. i use lucas so i dont know if that helps the lifters. the motor has 84,000 miles but its 40 years old.

It's not hard, just time consuming. But if you have the funds. I would just buy a long block and put it in. This way you know how the engine was treated and that nothing else will go wrong with the engine. Either way they are both time consuming.

You might want to get a hold of Dan Martorano, at Vintage Auto Parts, 602 437-4661 3821 Wier Avenue. He has been working on 1st generation Mustangs for long time, is honest, reputable, and knows what He is doing. Rates are reasonable, and He won't try to sell you anything you don't need.

If this is the original motor it will most likely go +30 on the new piston size. If you shop for an exchange motor you will get a +60 or more.

Spend a little more and rebuild your motor.

sorry roger. i dont know what you mean by plus 60

and i think i would rather rebuild it because she has shot rings in everything else

I found this site and may try this
    http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=13095

Silver Award 
    Cough, Cough, Cough, Yes Austin PLEASE get that fixed or get behind me, lol.