Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When looking at oil

When looking at oil

compared to what the dragger's on this site use this question is nothing but im curious as the time is coming around again.

When i change my oil i usually get four quarts of Big V (valvoline) and then for added protection i make the fifth quart Lucas oil. Last time the oil sat for ever with out running so a bought an extra quart of big V to flush out the gunk. So out of curiosity is their something better? something i should use instead. I use 10w-40 and it is the origonal motor with no rebuild and 84,000 miles... I have been told to try using a lighter oil because of the heat down here.. any tips?

I go to wal-mart and buy the Motorcraft Synthetic blend 5w-30 or 10w-30 dependong on what they have. Never had any problems. Hell its even cheaper than with my Carquest Discount.
    04' F150 Supercrew

Gold Award 
    i had always used valvoline in my 69 cougar. i tend to stick to motorcrafts semi synthetic blend in everything i daily drive now. only my cobra gets full synthetic. i go to walmart as well, as they have the best price on the mobil 1 and motorcraft oils that i use.

Tuned By PSR TUNING
    11.07 @ 127.93
    My Autolog Profile

I run Amsoil oil and a two stage filtration system on my toy and have never had an issue. On my daily driver I use Amsoil and a regular amsoil filter, I do the same on my wifes vehicle.

Mobile 1 5w30 and I'm even lazy most of the time and let they put it in at walmart. Its the like a dollar more

So if i run a 10w-40 would it be an advantage to run a 10w-30?

I dont think so, but thats just my o2's
    04' F150 Supercrew

Gold Award 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus46gt View Post
    Mobile 1 5w30 and I'm even lazy most of the time and let them put it in at walmart. Its the like a dollar more

Now you're asking for trouble.....lol

Gold Award 
    Have been told by a mechanic that you should not mix different weights of oil as they will seperate somewhat like water does with oil if it sits. Also that you should not mix different brands of oil as the properties may be different. Not positive short or long term what it will do to the life or performance of an engine if these are done, just passing on someones view. I personally use Synthetic oils rather then the basic stock oil.

Gold Award 
    I've been using using basic stock brand name oil for over 35 years and have never had any problems. If you change your oil every 3-5K miles you'll have no problem with basic brand name oil. I have 200K miles on my truck and always change my oil every 3-4K miles and you can slide your finger inside the oil cap and there's no sludge.

My Mustang I just sold I changed the oil every 1500-2000 miles, that was about the time it started to turn dark and it was spotless underneath the valve covers.

Personally I have never bought into the hype of syn oils unless you like to change oil every 10K+ miles.