ok, so the wife and i are shopping for a 64-66 stang. not looking for anything crazy, just want to find a nice coupe, preferably with the 289 and an automatic.

now, the reason for my post.

we have found a nice 66, the interior has been redone, and the body has been repainted the original white. but, it has a 302 in it. which from my understanding did not come in the stang till 1968. i am a newb at the classic stang, so please excuse me if i am incorrect on this one. how does this affect the value of the car? the seller is looking to get 6500 for the car. i initially thought this was a good price, if it had the 289. how does this really effect the value though? just looking for some advice, i really don't want to get in over my head and cost myself big on the wrong car.

also, if anyone knows of someone selling a decent 64-66 stang, please let me know. our budget is 4-6k. from what i am looking at it should not be a big issue.

thought i would mention, this is not a car we are looking for to replace the cobra or anything of the like. the wife really wants a classic to drive the mile she has to drive to work, and have a nice classic to take out on the weekends.