Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: attention electrical gurus/semi gurus!

attention electrical gurus/semi gurus!

I have been trying to figure out the mystery of why my car has died while i am driving. I have been studying wiring diagrams for 1966 mustang and tested like crazy. From the tests, i found that there isnt any power coming from the wire (wire 16) that leads from the positive terminal on the coil to the ignition switch. i repaired the wire and she still wont turn over. I am now looking under the dash see and see this wire. it just so happens that it leads to the ignition switch. it's been splice a few times and is connected to this intresting plastic set up.

my question is what the heck is this plactic thing?!?!

Looks like an in-line fuse. If there is an electrical jolt it will prevent damage down-line.
    Does the fuse look blown/damaged?
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

yes! it looks horrible! its warped and bubbled! do you suppose this part can be picked up at ace hardware?

I would take it apart. The wires should crimp into each side. Stop by a napa or autozone and see if they have a replacment.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

thank you! if this fixes my headache i owe you one!!!!!!!

If you want to be sure just test the current from one side inline fuse to the other. Form where the wire crimps on on side to the other. Or just poke a needle into each side orange wire before and after the fuse for test points.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

yea that doesn't look good, infact it even looks bad. Wally world even sells good replacements now or else any car audio dealer would stock a good replacement. That could easily be your problem.........

Yea an audio shop may be a good place.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

i am 98% it has been. its a rats nest under that dash. i want to find the previous owner who did this and flick them in the nose and lecture them about the importance of a clean wire harness and HOW NOT TO SPLICE ONE WIRE A MILLION TIMES!

well.... did the continuity test with the needles. as nasty as the fuse looks, it seems to be getting a solid beep. course it might not be getting a full spark out of it. this wire is spliced a few times else where and i have yet to check the ignition switch. i am not throwing in the towel yet!