Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: attention electrical gurus/semi gurus!

I am willing to bet that if you do the test, and then jiggle(technical term) the fuse holder that it will loose continuity. Try connecting to it and then pull, push, and tap on the holder to see if it goes on and off. These are what us electrical guru's call a technical tap and you would be suprised how much you can troubleshoot with it.

lol! ill be tapping at it some more. i have a half day at work today. (got to love exessive PTO!)

Silver Award 
    So the previous owner left you a rats nest for a wiring harness. Beautiful. That would be one of those projects where one day I'd go through and really clean things up. Let me guess, they used a lot of crimp on connections and taps rather than cleanly splicing and soldering in the connections?
    ~Andrew

you can only hope that they used crimp caps if it is really bad then there will be t-taps on top of scotch-locks......

well. i have just learned that that wire with the creepy in line fuse... is for the under dash bolt on AC. followed it around and saw on one side of the fuse it has been crimped twice and then followed it around on the other side of the fuse and saw 3 more crimps. found a piece of a match book cover, something with duct tape in the back, and twenty different color wires spliced into the original wires. unbelievable.

i think i am now an advocate against cruel treatment to mustangs.

keep tapping, pullin and jigglin the wires to try and get the problem to come back. Sooner or later you will touch a THE wire that is causing all of these problems and it will stop working right in front of you. Electrical gremlins can be hell to chase down.

Buckeye, Arizona, United States, 107758105920000, Buckeye, Arizona
    You may want to check your ignition switch. Those are prone to failure at that age. A new wiring harness wouldn't be a bad idea in the future. PM me if you need more help with trying to figure it out.

diagnostic log/stardate 10:30:2008. i got buddy on to help me. first off we tried re-grounding some of my grounds on the distributor. i have an edelbrock performer manifold (aluminum). i have learned that aluminum is not a good thing to ground on. i have had the car almost two years and bought her like that. it has run fine with the interesting choice of grounds, so its a bit odd. after re grounding, we still are cranking and not starting. it has been established that we are getting electricity everywhere we need it and from the ignition to the coil; there is still no spark coming from the coil.

conclusion: that its got to be something with the distributor. my buddy knows points.... but lucky for me i have an MSD distributor. a mutual buddy of ours gave some insight on what can be going on.

ill post more on the run down on the diagnostics. i really hope this will help people in the future! i dont want anyone to go thru this. ITS CUTTING IN TO MY CRUISING TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
    You may want to check your ignition switch. Those are prone to failure at that age. A new wiring harness wouldn't be a bad idea in the future. PM me if you need more help with trying to figure it out.
    i have tested the ignition wire... its checking out. i even popped the switch to double check to see if it looks iffy. but all is well. and i am getting power. i know i am getting close to the answer.

what side of town are you on? I am not a motor guy but I understand electrons fairly well and could probably help out.