Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head Gasket

Head Gasket

What head gasket should I use on a blown 1991 Mustang GT? Stock heads with bolt-ons. There so many 2 choose from from different thickness 2 bore size I dont know which one 2 pick
    04' F150 Supercrew

Platinum Award 
    Fel-pro, blue or black print 0 seal should be just fine, Lopers carries them...
    "The choices we make, dictates the lives we lead"

Fel-pro FTW. Did my intake gaskets and am quite satisfied.
    1988 GT (BBK 1 5/8th ceramic shorties, BBK O/R X Pipe, SLP LM1 Catback, MSD Blaster Coil II, MSD Pro Billet Distributor, K&N Panel Filter, Weight Reduction, MT ET Streets )

All I need would be the Intake gaskets and the head gasket correct? and header gasket
    04' F150 Supercrew

Platinum Award 
    I like the Fel-Pro MLS gaskets, or Cometic for a boosted engine.

Also I would recc ARP 7/16 head studs also.
    JENNABEARS Foundation
    www.jennabearsfoundation.org

I would also say ARP head studs.

Use Cometic head gaskets, I have been down this road before! Get ARP head bolts and torque them to 100 ft pounds even the short ones. Torque your intake to 10ft pounds. Make sure you use molly on the head bolts and your deck surface is perfect. Make sure you use a good torque wrench. Call Cometic I think you will want to use 44'' thickness head gaskets. Have fun.

Platinum Award 
    You can also get custom thickness from Cometic, my last 331 had a .060" which lowered my c/r a lil more for the saftey factor. I think most of the other gaskets come standard at .039-.040"

If you are buying new bolts dont...spend the money on studs, much better clamping force which is important on a boosted engine.

The Fel Pro MLS are the same as the Cometics (multi-layer steel) just dont come in custom sizes, they are easier to find locally also imop. Price diff in the two is minimal.

Chris
    JENNABEARS Foundation

True, be careful putting thicker head gakets in a blown motor. That has been known to increase detonation. Reduce your c/r by building the motor for your desired c/r.

Platinum Award 
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmatheson View Post
    True, be careful putting thicker head gakets in a blown motor. That has been known to increase detonation. Reduce your c/r by building the motor for your desired c/r.

True indeed, for those that arent building a new motor putting a thicker gasket works fine boosted or not. If you are building a new motor obviously build it for the desired c/r, for guys like me things change, combo's grow, the hp bug continued to grow on me long after my short was assembled hahahaha.

Creep up on the tune, tune safely and detonation isnt a problem, that goes for any engine.

For the record I ran my .060" Cometics for over 2 years on a 331 with a S-trim, then with a T-trim, and then a 70mm turbo. Motor saw as much as 18psi with the turbo, never a gasket issue / failure and actually less detonation issues, and since i lowered my c/r a good bit from the gasket (8.8 to 8.5 range) i thought it helped my detonation factor, I was able to run more timing on pump gas with this combo than when i ran the .040" gasket. Although Cometic did say anything over .060" and I could have issues.
    JENNABEARS Foundation