Thread: my alternator saga continues

my alternator saga continues

I sometimes think that I am put here only to prove murphys law at least one time a day and this is NO exception. Two months ago my alternator went out, a simple enough repair right? I took it out and had it rebuilt and upgraded to 200 amps, can't remember how much that cost it has been so long now. While I had it out, I started thinking that it would not be a much more work to take off the intake to replace it with my freshly painted and ported cobra intake, as well as a bigger TB and maf to really make her purr. Some how I knew it would not be that simple, and as I cracked the first bolt to the upper I actually thought to myself,"The momstang has been a great and reliable car since mom bought her 14 yrs ago, so much for that". Everything was going well until I started to bolt up the lower intake and noticed that the #5 bolt in the tightening sequence(first bolt at the front of the block) was broken. It didn't even look like a bolt, just a rusty nub that was barely above the block. It must have rusted/frozen in place and then broke off. There was not enough space to weld a nut to the top, so I went out and bought some back-out bits. I now have tried 2 different systems that were recommended, and have managed to drill a hole in the bolt, and tried both systems($90 worth hardly used if anyone wants them) but that thing has not even budged. I have no idea what to do at this point, I don't have the experience to drill/tap it myself so I guess I need to know if anyone knows of any local shops or places that can do it? It would be better if it were on the east side since I will have to have it towed.

In reality I will probably have to shut the hood and put a cover on her as I don't have the cash to do it right now and I am not sure if I will have a job a little more then a month from now. Anyone have any idea what this might cost?

Is the lower intake already off?

the lower is off now, and the rust nub that use to be a bolt is just barely above the block. I drilled a hole in it when I tried the back-out bits but it has not budged at all.

Had this same problem...took me three days to fix it...I broke off easy out inside the bolt. If you can heat it up...do it

ttocs, I am in Chandler, bought your Blackmagic fan from you. I have Sunday off and could come over and try and help you out. Let me know.
    John
    306 stuffed with ARP bolts, C&L elbow, BBK 70mm TB, 24lbs, typhoon w/1"spacer, Al radiator, F cam, Pro Form 1.6 RR, MAC long tubes, offroad H, 40 series Flows, TKO500, Steeda clutch quad, Hurst shifter, King Cobra clutch, 3:73 gears, poly motor mounts, 17" Repop Cobra R's with shit tires.

I will take any help that I can get and thank you for it..... I was in over my head on the intake replacement, if this had not happened I am sure it would have gone fine but I am lost now.

Did you get everything running on your car now?

Yup, car is running. Just missing the AC work, exhaust leaks abound, and need to adjust the timing a bit. I'll bring it over and you can have a look at it. I will PM you my number.
    306 stuffed with ARP bolts, C&L elbow, BBK 70mm TB, 24lbs, typhoon w/1"spacer, Al radiator, F cam, Pro Form 1.6 RR, MAC long tubes, offroad H, 40 series Flows, TKO500, Steeda clutch quad, Hurst shifter, King Cobra clutch, 3:73 gears, poly motor mounts, 17" Repop Cobra R's with shit tires.

thanks again.