Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help ASAP

Motorcraft FL-1 and Valvoline is what I have used for years too. I didn't realize even the Fram air filters were junk too, until the CEL come on in the Expedition. dealer traced it to the new Fram air filter I had just put in-the end came off the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconGTHO View Post
    Motorcraft FL1-A and if you can afford it, WANT to afford it, Castrol Syntec full syn oil. If not, Valvoline dino oil. Weight? Given the heat out here I use (when I drove it) 20W-50 in my 72 Torino. In the coldest of winter you can switch to 10W-40. I never bothered to in the Torino.
    Hank
    Phoenix
    '89 ASC/McLaren #176
    '87 ASC/McLaren #134 SOLD!
    '85 GT Orig Owner 27k miles

ya i kinda got in the guys face at autozone Because he kept trying to sell me fram shit. Honestly i only buy there oil filter now i dont want anything to do with fram i use all k&n on my car. He kept pushing fram... so i left all my junk on the counter walked out and went to checkers =)

Quote Originally Posted by FalconGTHO View Post
    Motorcraft FL1-A and if you can afford it, WANT to afford it, Castrol Syntec full syn oil. If not, Valvoline dino oil. Weight? Given the heat out here I use (when I drove it) 20W-50 in my 72 Torino. In the coldest of winter you can switch to 10W-40. I never bothered to in the Torino.
    i had someone tell me 10w40 to use now. wouldnt 20w-50 make me run a little hot for my set up? (i think we had the same engine... my 302 is from a 72 torino/fairlane)

I don't know why you wouldn't use the FL-1A. You can get them at walmart for just over $3.00. Totally worth it. Mobil 1 is all I use. Looking at switching to Royal Purple.

dont know about royal. i hear all this great stuff about them but i have also heard they have been having some long term effects?!? keep an ear out for it. prob just romors

Silver Award 
    with a leaky pan gasket i wouldn't recommend RP at $7.50 a qt.
    2003 svt Lightning
    chickenears cai

bassani catback
    bassani catted mid
    LFP stage one W/ 4lb lower
    Fluidyne HE

a little faster then stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 1966PonyGirl View Post
    i had someone tell me 10w40 to use now. wouldnt 20w-50 make me run a little hot for my set up? (i think we had the same engine... my 302 is from a 72 torino/fairlane)
    No, the higher numbers in oil weight means thicker oil. You want thicker oil, esp in our old (and high? mile) engines to combat thinning with the high summer temps. As I mentioned, you can change to 10 40 in winter for better mileage and easier starting, but its not essential as I never did.

awesome! ill be changing some oil soon, ill give the 20w 50 a whirl! thanks!

ok... here is another question...( sorry bro, i totally took your help me thread!)

there are products out there that you can run in your engine to break down the sludge build up.... does that stuff work or is it just some frilly thing that seems nice to buy for your engine? if it works, what is the brand suggestion?

no yer not stealing yer stratigizing