Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3G alternator upgrade......... no sweat

not having a fox I have heard about the upgrade, but this is the first that I have heard about the 200 amp fuse........ Is that really what they recomend?

A 3 foot section of 4 awg cable is only rated at 150 amps max fellas. You could take that length of 4 awg with its fuse and short out a good battery and the wire will melt before the fuse.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/assets/pdf/PowerWireSpec.pdf

you lookin at 0 awg if you want something that will last more then 200 amps.

Quote Originally Posted by ttocs View Post
    not having a fox I have heard about the upgrade, but this is the first that I have heard about the 200 amp fuse........ Is that really what they recomend?

A 3 foot section of 4 awg cable is only rated at 150 amps max fellas. You could take that length of 4 awg with its fuse and short out a good battery and the wire will melt before the fuse.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/assets/pdf/PowerWireSpec.pdf

you lookin at 0 awg if you want something that will last more then 200 amps.
    Hmmm, your probably right. I should step down my fuse to slightly higher than the alt output. More like a 150A fuse......

But wait, don't most car batteries throw down more than 200 amps??
    306 stuffed with ARP bolts, C&L elbow, BBK 70mm TB, 24lbs, typhoon w/1"spacer, Al radiator, F cam, Pro Form 1.6 RR, MAC long tubes, offroad H, 40 series Flows, TKO500, Steeda clutch quad, Hurst shifter, King Cobra clutch, 3:73 gears, poly motor mounts, 17" Repop Cobra R's with shit tires.

yes and that is the point. The fuse is there to protect the wire. If the fuse is a higher rating then the wire can handle, your wire is now the fuse as it will glow bright orange and then start to smoke and melt, while the fuse sits unharmed.

you didn't put some black wheels on your stang and take it to work did you? I might have been admiring your car tonght.

Yeah, black cobra r's. It was parked out front today.
    306 stuffed with ARP bolts, C&L elbow, BBK 70mm TB, 24lbs, typhoon w/1"spacer, Al radiator, F cam, Pro Form 1.6 RR, MAC long tubes, offroad H, 40 series Flows, TKO500, Steeda clutch quad, Hurst shifter, King Cobra clutch, 3:73 gears, poly motor mounts, 17" Repop Cobra R's with shit tires.

Like I said I always liked the hatch backs.......

I hope mine will run again some day.