Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A/C question R12 or 134a ??

I have a case of freeze 12 in my garage that I dont need anymore. If your interested pm me.

Im scared about all the misconceptions about air conditioning. Why a used compressor that's asking for trouble? Yes you should put the system in a thirty inch pound vacuum for thirty minutes. You should get all new components not because of compatibility issues, do it because you do not know for sure if that comp. is good. A compressor, orifice tube, dryer, flush and pag 50 can be purchased as a kit for around 400.00 dollars and don't go to Auto Zone or Checkers. It will cost a lot more if the compressor explodes and puts containament's in the condenser or the evaporator it will be hard to get i out. Get a high pressure switch for a R134. There is never a guarantee with air conditioning so buy a Visteon kit so you can get a warranty. Maybe new hoses to insure no leaks. Hope this helps.

Gold Award 
    I use R414b This is used in place of R12 and R134a without any conversions or oil changing. It must be charged as a liquid. You use 10% less refrigerant than R134a and works much better than ether one. I tested it in Death Valley this summer and had to turn it down because getting too cold. You must evacuate and put under a va***m any system that has been opened or freon removed. This will remove any moistier in the system which will corrode internal parts if this is not done.

what would be the price range of R414b?

Gold Award 
    I sell R414b for $21.77 per 10 oz can. that includes tax.

Quote Originally Posted by jjmatheson View Post
    Im scared about all the misconceptions about air conditioning. Why a used compressor that's asking for trouble?
    Its simple, $$$. Basically the same reason people buy used 200K mile engines slap them in and strap a huge NOS shot to them. When they blow, pull and replace, its just a chance I am taking.
    306 stuffed with ARP bolts, C&L elbow, BBK 70mm TB, 24lbs, typhoon w/1"spacer, Al radiator, F cam, Pro Form 1.6 RR, MAC long tubes, offroad H, 40 series Flows, TKO500, Steeda clutch quad, Hurst shifter, King Cobra clutch, 3:73 gears, poly motor mounts, 17" Repop Cobra R's with shit tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Sqrlnts View Post
    Its simple, $$$. Basically the same reason people buy used 200K mile engines slap them in and strap a huge NOS shot to them. When they blow, pull and replace, its just a chance I am taking.
    Well good luck to ya. Twelve years of doing automotive repair tells me that usually doesn't work for long and you end up spending more. I hate to see you chase your tail.