Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford Mustang AV8R (One of a Kind)

Silver Award 

This is getting heated.

Not to change the subject, but I watched the new Pinks-All Out from Tucson tonight, 4 mustangs made it to the 16 and none of them won it, winner was a chevy pick-up, oh the humanity! But I will say the old 70 year old in the Mustang was fun to watch, he slammed those gears with some authority, you got to respect that, hehe

Personally I say let them make as many special editions as they want!!! After all its just a freaking car!! Anyway the way I figure it the more special editions they produce the more the car stays in the public eye. And the more the car stays in the public eye the less likely it is that Ford's soul-less beancounters will consider axing the Mustang in order to make room for some new gas sipping sub-sub-sub-compact econo box. Don't forget CAFE regulations will continue requiring higher and higher fleet MPG averages!

Do I worry that it'll lower the value of our cars? Heck no... the economy and gas prices are doing that just fine without much help from Ford.

Will it make our cars less unique? Heck no... its a Mustang after all and not a Aston Martin! If unique was what I was going after I'd sell my house, Mustang, and Sport Trac and use the proceeds to make a down payment on a Bugati Veyron!
    2008 Bullitt, Highland Green Metallic, Dark Charcoal interior

Modifications

Planned Mod's:
    * How do you modify an instant classic?

Gold Award 
    ok, so since people have not had a problem with all the different roush varations or the saleens variations or the cobra and the bullit, or the many other special editions, what changes now? there has always been many different special editions. i see no problem with it, if its selling cars and keeping the legend alive, than i say F it! do all ya want. i have my pony, and i am content with it. i would be more disappointed if we went without it like camaro owners have for the past few years than be cryin about too many special editions...

Tuned By PSR TUNING
    11.07 @ 127.93
    My Autolog Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Rev'n Kevin View Post

This is getting heated.

Not to change the subject, but I watched the new Pinks-All Out from Tucson tonight, 4 mustangs made it to the 16 and none of them won it, winner was a chevy pick-up, oh the humanity! But I will say the old 70 year old in the Mustang was fun to watch, he slammed those gears with some authority, you got to respect that, hehe
    I work out at SIR and let me tell you, we have some extremely talented drivers out there. I really hope that "70" year old you're speaking of is Chuck Hawk... Owner of Hawk's performance here in Tucson. He is a HELL of a driver if so. I did not get the see the episode, what did the car look like?

To the OP: I personally hate 90% of the mustang special editions. They are a sad excuse for dealers to jack up the MSRP and to fool customers into thinking they're getting something special. Saleen, Roush, Steeda... they are the real companies. Leave it to people that actually race to develop a special edition.

There has always been the saleen edition, roush editions, steeda, mach's, cobra's, bullitts, and boss mustangs. they all have done something for the sport and for the product from testing new items and making the car better through engineering for years, but now Joe Schmo can make an eidtion thats just stupid. Now you can get the av8r, california edition, foose edition, cdc edition, warriors in pink edition, cooperstate edition, "Dealership name" edition, Twister special edition, Hertz edition, shradach edition, Mustang Sally edition, BlackJack edition, racecraft edition, etc. Even Saleen, Roush are getting out of hand i think there are 6 or 7 saleen editions and also 6 or 7 different roush editions. Its just way to over the top. I like the new stangs, but man its out of hand

Platinum Award 
    I could really care less how many special edition Mustangs are made- I'm never going to buy one. I also don't think it degrades the Mustang. Just the fact that there is so much interest in these vehicles is great for the hobby and great for the Mustang- even if the special editions aren't what we would all like to see or what he/she feels a special edition mustang should be. I always think it's great walking around SEMA and seeing so many different Mustang's. In the end, I think it strengthens the hobby.

When talking specifically about these special editions, what I don't like is how so many "tuners", dealerships, etc. are slapping fiberglass body kits, striping, intake and exhaust and jacking the price of the car to an unreasonable level for what the car actually is. A while back I had read an article in either C&D or Road & Track where the Shelby GT, Steeda, and Saleen were all compared. Yea they did handle better, and looks were changed, but for the performance dollar, they just simply didn't seem worth the $. The best part was when compared to a stock GT, they were maybe a tick faster.

2011 Shelby GT 500
    Black/Black/Satin Black Stripes, Electronics Pkg, FRPP/BMR Suspension/Borla-Ford Racing Exhaust
    488rwhp/463rwtq bone stock
    Great Past Rides:
    2003 Mustang Cobra SVT Convertible- 302 Stroker & more- PSR Tuned, 2003 Mustang GT- Silver Coupe w/boltons
    1996 Mustang GT/SC- Paxton SC & Tons of Mods- SuperFord Mag Car, 1995 Mustang- Red w/boltons. 1968 Galaxie 500

Gold Award 
    Also keep in mind how many different ways you could order a Mustang from the factory in the 60's to early 70's. Not only the Mustang but Mopar and Chevy as well. How many options do you have when ordering a Mustang from the factory today? Not many vs back then - you have inside and outside colors, V6 or V8, manual or auto, rear wing or not and maybe navi. The aftermarket has just stepped in and given more options. Not everyone in the Mustang demographic wants 600hp or has the means to pay 100k for a top of the line Saleen. If we had more real options from the factory (real options like a 7.0 engine or heavier duty trans) and more dealer options, that might keep some of these "special edition" stangs at bay like the new "Jager Bomb Edition".

Silver Award 
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerosi665 View Post
    I work out at SIR and let me tell you, we have some extremely talented drivers out there. I really hope that "70" year old you're speaking of is Chuck Hawk... Owner of Hawk's performance here in Tucson. He is a HELL of a driver if so. I did not get the see the episode, what did the car look like?
    I believe it was Chuck, really was fun watching him, on that episode, check for it, I'm sure they'll repeat it a hundred times, lol. The fast 8, they did was killer, the winner ran a 7.97, it was incredible, I was thinking I was too old to get back into it, but after watching the 70 year old, man I got the fever. BTW, he only lost by a bumper, it was sooooo close, best episode of pinks I've ever watched. Hey if you see the guy with the Mach 1, slap him for me, lol, I can't believe he jumped and let a duster take the win, I was really hoping to see what he could do.

Awesome!
    Military Tuners
    Black '96 Mustang GT