Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ideas for a catback for a v6

ideas for a catback for a v6

im looking into getting a catback for my v6. currently i just have magnaflow mufflers. any ideas?

I have the Mac Y-pipe system and love the sound of it. If you already have an 'h' or 'x' pipe of some sort then just get the Mac system that fits to that, I think you would be very pleased with the sound.
    2001 True Blue Cobra Convertible
    1 of 292
    #935 built on 4/20/01

Quote Originally Posted by mustangvsix View Post
    I have the Mac Y-pipe system and love the sound of it. If you already have an 'h' or 'x' pipe of some sort then just get the Mac system that fits to that, I think you would be very pleased with the sound.
    i have the stock cats. i only have the mufflers so im looking for the whole system. so the mac y-pipe is good? how much is it?

Y pipes are kinda quiet. I heard mustangvsix's set-up and it sounds really nice. but go for a catted-h / x pipe you'll get a better tone out of it and a bit louder.

currently i have the Jegs Catback. i've never heard it on the outside so.. IMO from what i can hear it sounds really nice. i've got lots of compliments on it. My route i'm planning on is LT's w/ 2 high-flow cats with either true-duels (no cross over) or an H pipe with flowmasters/force/mac not sure which mufflers i want yet.

hope this helps.

oh and www.macperformance.com you'll find it there.

quickest and easiest way, practically hassle free if you go to the right people. Buy two mufflers. a mid pipe (or have them fab one up for you) take them to a muffler shop, tell them what you want done. ta-da.

An off road mid pipe will be louder than a catted mid pipe but i'd check wth your emissions before doing anything, so you know what is legal.

An off road mid pipe will give you a rhaspier sound though, Mac is reasonably priced stuff but unfortunately I dont know who makes exhaust for 6 cylinder Mustangs.
    Black 04 Cobra

KB 2.2 @ 19#'s, 3.25(15#) upper, 4# lower, CAI, Kooks LT's, Catted H,
    SLP LM1 CB, 60# inj, BF idlers, BF TB, Zoom ZVT Stage 3, 26 Spline, MGW,
    2400 MAF, Ron Davis Racing HE, SCT tune, AFS 10.5, 315/35/17

Quote Originally Posted by wickedcobra View Post
    I have it worked out with my wife too, I get car parts, she gets brooms, vacuum, irons etc....LOL

ya the emissions laws here are pretty strict. but what would be better a catted h/x pipe or true duals?

Quote Originally Posted by About2Bite View Post
    An off road mid pipe will give you a rhaspier sound though, Mac is reasonably priced stuff but unfortunately I dont know who makes exhaust for 6 cylinder Mustangs.
    Check JBA, and Magnaflow. Both have a number of systems for Mustangs. Magnaflow is pricey, but top quality, a real shame to put it under your Car where it can't be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Built4speed View Post
    ya the emissions laws here are pretty strict. but what would be better a catted h/x pipe or true duals?
    if you have a mid pipe(x or h) then you are running true duals. Just get catted if you are worried about emissions, plus I think the 6 sounds better with a little bit of restriction, you open it up to much and it sounds like crap.
    2001 True Blue Cobra Convertible
    1 of 292
    #935 built on 4/20/01

i have magnaflow mufflers on a y pipe. i was going to get a X pipe installed soon. plus the pipes are pretty ugly and can be seen easily. so im looking for a little upgrade.

Silver Award 
    I would suggest doin the whole thing including headers but that can be kinda pricy but i have a mac pro chamber with bassani cat backs and the sound is amazing it all just depends on what kinda sound youre lookin for but i get a nice rumble outta mine in the lower rpms and in the higher rpms the car just screams!!!
    2003 True Blue GT
    PA Racing K Member
    MM Full Length Sub Frame Connectors
    H&R Drag Springs
    Mac Long Tube Headers & Mid Pipe (CatLess)
    Bassani Cat Backs
    Pro 5.0 Short Shifter
    03 Cobra Wheels w/ ET Street DR
    SCT XCal 2