Thread: Thermostat problems

Hybrid View

Question Thermostat problems

Well for those that know my car as well as many other does get hot but this summer i will actually be driving it unlike anyother year so the thermo needs to go. it old and bad and you can tell in 80 degree weather. (i crank the heat to cool it down bad) Any who i am looking at the parts now and the stock temp is 195 and thats the OEM. as far as i kno the block (302 V-8) is not aluminum. (All original car 1969) i will be getting an electric fan for the Super Hot days but i am thinking for now i would like to put the super thermo in.http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...OE+Replacement

MAIN Question is how much would a 5 degree cooler thermo change the car or 15. i am looking at either a 180 or 190 i just want to be sure the car wont run like shit but i do know the car needs to be cooler and the super stat deffinatly sound like the better bang for the buck. need opinions and curious what it will do to the car.

Platinum Award 
    My Foxes have a 160 in them but I think you would be ok with the 180!!
    "The choices we make, dictates the lives we lead"

thanks for the reply!! and good to hear im guessing it will need a tune up as it already does. i finally got her running with all new mounts! so next it the plates and tags and i will see all you hot shots on the road!!

going to be changing all the thermo parts so i can drive her more.

Is there any suggestion on a thermo? special "GOOD" brands
    i think the car had a 210 in it and im changing it to a 195 or so is that ok?

FWIW: After getting stuck several times with a Checker "lifetime" electric fuel pump, I'm sticking with alot of stock Ford engine parts (and the thermostat is one of them). My new temp sending unit was showing my '89 running at 3/4 on the temp guage instead of the old one showing 1/2. I got a digital thermometer and it shows I'm runnning 180 at the thermostat housing (with a 180 Ford stat) and 170 at the top of the radiator.

I still had cooling problems after getting my radiator re-cored in my '69 (way back when). Finally found someone who showed me it was a cheap core that was used in the job. Put a new, good core in and cooling issues went away. Overall it won't matter what temp thermostat you put in if the radiator can't cool off the fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by 69CreamPuFF View Post
    going to be changing all the thermo parts so i can drive her more.

Is there any suggestion on a thermo? special \"GOOD\" brands
    i think the car had a 210 in it and im changing it to a 195 or so is that ok?
    Hank
    Phoenix
    '89 ASC/McLaren #176
    '87 ASC/McLaren #134 SOLD!
    '85 GT Orig Owner 27k miles

I just did my stat for the 2nd time and I put in a standard checker 180. The first stat I put in was a mr Gasket 160 but for some reason my 302 was running at 230 so I changed it to the 180 and now driving to work at 11am she is running around 180 to 190.

93 FOX