Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best 70's mustangs i have Liked

get a mustang mag. always have it in the backl and then check the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by chewbaccajones View Post
    I did not know that about the Mustang letters on the decklid. Is there a place to research the VIN?
    The quickest, easiest thing to do is look for the date that the metal went though the stamping plant. Should be around the latch striker pin. Can't remember exactly where (it has been awhile since I have gone over my 72'). Most body panels will have stamping dates on them (doors, front fenders, hood) dates may be off by a few days, but it is a quick way to see if there had been any body panel replacement.

For years the 69-70, and 71-73 Mustangs have been overlooked due to the popularity of the 64 1/2-66, and 67-68 Mustangs. The past few years the are starting to come into their own. You can get info on your Car by Calling/E-Mailing Mardi with the VIN number. They have access to Ford data bases, and can give you complete info on your Car as it was built.Don't have the contact info close at hand (Calling Dan Martorano!!). There are books out to help you decipher the Cars data plates.

Quote Originally Posted by chewbaccajones View Post
    the original rear bumper is in the garage in the background with a little bend in it. apparently I hopped in the ol' 77 thunderbird, pulled the gear selector into neutral and coasted down the driveway into the back of the mustang. just need a new correct bumper or to fix the old one.
    Get the original back bumper straightned out, then replate both front and back bumpers. Back in the day, my Mom backed into my 72' coupe with Her 74' Country Squire Wagon (Brown with the fake wood sides!). I went through the same process, discovered that the mounting fittings could be different, for the different years, and that a freshly replated bumper looks a whole lot better than one with a few years of micro pitting on the original Ford Chrome.

Gold Award 
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchmach View Post
    The quickest, easiest thing to do is look for the date that the metal went though the stamping plant. Should be around the latch striker pin. Can't remember exactly where (it has been awhile since I have gone over my 72'). Most body panels will have stamping dates on them (doors, front fenders, hood) dates may be off by a few days, but it is a quick way to see if there had been any body panel replacement.

For years the 69-70, and 71-73 Mustangs have been overlooked due to the popularity of the 64 1/2-66, and 67-68 Mustangs. The past few years the are starting to come into their own. You can get info on your Car by Calling/E-Mailing Mardi with the VIN number. They have access to Ford data bases, and can give you complete info on your Car as it was built.Don't have the contact info close at hand (Calling Dan Martorano!!). There are books out to help you decipher the Cars data plates.
    You can try this too! http://www.mustangdecoder.com/decoder.html
    Chris B.
    2000 ROUSH Stage 2, 1969 Mach 1
    Copperstate Mustang Club! Come join the Fun!! www.copperstatemustangclub.com

Gold Award 
    Well, I got the info from the car and went to that mustangdecoder.com site. It does not really give any info that I already did not know and of course, if you want more, you have to pay for it.

http://www.mustangdecoder.com/cgi-bin/decoder.pl

Classic Mustang Decoder Results

Warranty Number: 1F03H218953

Year: 1 1971
    Plant: F Dearborn, MI
    Body Series: 03 Convertible
    Engine: H 351 2v V8
    Unit: 218953 218953

Miscellaneous Vehicle Data

Body: 76D Convertible
    Color: 5 Medium Brown Metallic
    Trim: CF Ginger All Vinyl, Comfortweave, Luxury Interior
    Date: 0671 June, 1971
    D.S.O: 21 Atlanta
    Axle: 6 3.00:1, Conventional
    Trans: U C6 Automatic

Platinum Award 
    I think that's awesome that you still have that car and it's still in the family. So many of us wish we could have a certain car back that has a lot of sentimental value. Very nice classic indeed!

2011 Shelby GT 500
    Black/Black/Satin Black Stripes, Electronics Pkg, FRPP/BMR Suspension/Borla-Ford Racing Exhaust
    488rwhp/463rwtq bone stock
    Great Past Rides:
    2003 Mustang Cobra SVT Convertible- 302 Stroker & more- PSR Tuned, 2003 Mustang GT- Silver Coupe w/boltons
    1996 Mustang GT/SC- Paxton SC & Tons of Mods- SuperFord Mag Car, 1995 Mustang- Red w/boltons. 1968 Galaxie 500

Gold Award 
    Yep, it's almost a family member. I do regret selling that white 97 cobra in the background of the second shot.