Thread: paint $?

paint $?

unfortunatly I did not get any responces to my introduction and offer to trade audio/security work for paint work. I have new side-skirts for a side exhaust kit that I am dyin to put on and need paint. I figured since earl shieb only charges $299 for an basic car paint that they would have a deal on these parts since they didn't need any masking, and there is very little prep. I was amazed when they said $199 for just these 2 pieces but after calling a couple of other shops this seems to be the going rate? For that price I am inclined to buy an ok paint gun, and borrow my neighbors compressor to see how bad of a job I can do. Worst case I would have to sand it back down to the base right?

Quote Originally Posted by ttocs View Post
    unfortunatly I did not get any responces to my introduction and offer to trade audio/security work for paint work. I have new side-skirts for a side exhaust kit that I am dyin to put on and need paint. I figured since earl shieb only charges $299 for an basic car paint that they would have a deal on these parts since they didn't need any masking, and there is very little prep. I was amazed when they said $199 for just these 2 pieces but after calling a couple of other shops this seems to be the going rate? For that price I am inclined to buy an ok paint gun, and borrow my neighbors compressor to see how bad of a job I can do. Worst case I would have to sand it back down to the base right?
    i think just your basic prep and cleanup is the issue. whether you paint a couple pieces or a whole body kit (for example) its still the same prep and cleanup of your tools.

I've got an 87 vert six engine survivor, 84 svo, 86 retarded coupe and my other ride is your mom

Gold Award 
    Id say go for the 199 deal. I am not sure what it would cost to buy your own stuff. Probably around 200 bucks at least???????

Quote Originally Posted by wickedcobra View Post
    Id say go for the 199 deal. I am not sure what it would cost to buy your own stuff. Probably around 200 bucks at least???????
    i agree... and you'll be left with extra materials

I've got an 87 vert six engine survivor, 84 svo, 86 retarded coupe and my other ride is your mom

Speaking from experience I'd say have them paint it. It sounds like alot of $$$ at first, but have you priced automotive paint? Paint, reducer, primer, and maybe hardener, etc. can all get expensive rather quickly unless you are in that line of business and get a good discount. I've tried doing a few of my own paint jobs and it can be alot of work (time comsuming). Yeah...I had to rework my mistakes before too. Doing a good paint job comes from experience, and that experience comes from doing alot of bad paint jobs. They should do a proffessional job, and if they don't you have someone else to blame, Ha!

I am leaning that way as well. I am also considering having them install them as well to ensure that they don't fly off and ruin a good paint job. Is there anyone that has experience with any local paint places that they can recommend?

I hear Body Pro Collision in Gilbert turns out some really good paint and they propably will install too.

It's on the wrong side of town for you but I've had good experiences using the MAACO at 51st Avenue and Glendale. The shop was recommended by a friend of mine who works down the street at Sanderson Ford. I've used them about a dozen times for painting small parts. Their prices have been very reasonable and their work was pretty good too.
    2008 Bullitt, Highland Green Metallic, Dark Charcoal interior

Modifications

Planned Mod's:
    * How do you modify an instant classic?