Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IRS Swap

Gold Award 
    I've never driven a car with the steeda 5 link but I put the MM 3 link on a 97. It does away with the upper control arms and adds a torque arm and panhard bar. I have always been a corner carver and with that setup, I could get on it hard a lot earlier in the corner than ever. It was an amazing setup. The rear stuck from a dig a lot better too.

While the Steeda 5-link is an improvement over the stock 4-link I don't believe its the ideal solution, and its expensive. The torque arm / panhard bar system by either Maximum Motorsports or Griggs are both track and street proven systems. With a TA/PHB there is almost zero bind in the rear, so no more snap oversteer issues. The forward bite is significantly improved, and the rear roll center is lowered to around the bottom of the pumpkin.

The IRS is lightyears ahead of the four-link in handling and ride quality. But, it is not the ideal track solution. I've been messing around with my IRS for two years, and short of wider/stickyer tires there is no way to improve corner exit grip. So if you do an IRS plan on running 315's on the rear. There is one significant advantage of the IRS, rough roads and track curbs. The ability of one wheel to take bumps without upsetting the opposite tire increases cornering grip substantially over the best stick axle system.
    00 Atlantic Blue GT, Vortech Supercharged, 03 Cobra IRS, Griggs GR40 front suspension.
    11.66 @ 116 and 1.03 lateral g's

Gold Award 
    ^^ How do you like the Griggs setup on the front?

I have a friend with a 99 cobra that would be down to swap. Whats the rear end from? gears?

Quote Originally Posted by chewbaccajones View Post
    ^^ How do you like the Griggs setup on the front?
    I've had the setup for almost a year and the car still brings a smile to my face every time I drive it.

http://www.highperformancestangs.com...ghlight=griggs
    http://www.highperformancestangs.com...ghlight=griggs

The only things I can add to this is that the confidence this setup inspires in a corner is phenonmenal, and the slalom performance is astounding. In my little 75' slalom I picked up 15 mph over where I was before.
    00 Atlantic Blue GT, Vortech Supercharged, 03 Cobra IRS, Griggs GR40 front suspension.

I am the above referenced friend that would like to swap. It is a stock 1999 Cobra IRS. If interested let me know.
    Last edited by Phx99Cobra; 04-21-08 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Speeling
    jlt cai, o/r bassani x-pipe,magna pack cat back, tri-ax, sct tune by keith @ az dyno chip, solid axle w/ 4.10 gears
    Best time...12.797 @ 108.5 mph w/ 1.76 60ft
    New Best Time....12.3911 @ 106.3 w/ 1.589 60ft
    SOLD

New Toy - 2003 GT stroker, procharger and to much other s**t to list ***SOLD***

Lubracano
    PM sent to 99 Cobra - Bluepony, is yours a GT?

Lubracano
    never mind I read your comment on the bottom. Awesome car!

Quote Originally Posted by Lubracano View Post
    never mind I read your comment on the bottom. Awesome car!
    Thank you. It's gonna be for sale in about 2 years when I buy one of these: www.gr40.com

Lubracano
    Those cars are sick! Its a shame I dont make the gangster cash to buy one!