Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What steering?

What steering?

So, I was told by the owner that all it needs is an alignment. I believed him. DUMB, I know. So, I get the car aligned using Steeda camber caster plates. However, the car still violently goes off course when it hits a different groove than the one it is riding on. I'll be on the middle of the road and a different layer of pavement splits the road in half and the car will slip into the groove that catches one of its wheels. On straight and level roads it drives fine and smooth until...Any words of wisdom. Thanks...P

What kind and how wide are the front tires?? Also check the angle of the tierods. Is the car lowered? Does is have an aftermarket bumpsteer kit on it??

Silver Award 
    It sounds as if you may be having an issue with bump steer. As he asked, is it lowered?
    ~Andrew

It has FRPP M-5300-C springs, KYB adujstable struts and shocks, Eibach sway bars front & rear, front tires are Khumos 255/35/18. No aftermarket bumpsteer kit. I took it to Firestone where the technician aligned it without any issues. Thanks for the help.

Silver Award 
    By the sounds of it, I'm almost willing to bet that a bump steer kit form MM will fix your troubles.
    ~Andrew

I hope you are right. I like this LX and want to put more money into it but in other parts. I don't feel like spending my entire budget in front suspension and steering equipment.

Silver Award 
    I've been in a couple mustangs that are pretty unpredictable on all but the smoothest roads and I was surprised what a bump steer kit did to one of their mustangs. The others just learned to deal with it. It could be something else because I don't know of many people with C-springs who complain about their car needing the bump steer kit, but what you are experiencing sounds as if that may be what the car wants. Hopefully some others will voice their thoughts on this because I hate to have to drive a car that is pretty unpredictable.
    ~Andrew

A bumpsteer kit will help but I would be willing to say that the tires being so wide in the front wants to grab the road crown or grooves in the road. My personal car is lowered, no bumpsteer kit and 245's up front and drives pretty normal. Maybe you can swap front wheels from a friends stang just to eliminate that.

Thanks for all the input. One of these days I'll have to buy ya'll a beer after a day of racing. If I had my left arm I would not complain about the steering problem. Unfortunately, it's paralyzed and I refuse to let my handicap dictate how much fun I can have. So, I think I'll do all of it, F it. Do the tie rods, bump steer and in a few miles change to 245's. I should have all but the tires done by Friday. I'll post the results. Thanks again...P

The bump steer kit would be the first thing and as for the tires, I would see first in you could switch front tires/wheels with someone that has more stock size/width since they were only 225.