Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good AFR for NA motor?

Hybrid View

Good AFR for NA motor?

What are you people keeping a NA motor at for AFR? I am used to having a turbo and going with 12.0 to 11.5 but i am wondering if i should be running a leaner AFR with NA. I know 14.1 is like perfect but i want someones input.
    2005 GT Mustang 5 spd, Shaker 1000, Short Antenna, JBA Headers, JBA O/R X pipe, BBK TB 62mm, C&L CAI, Diablosport tune, BMR LC Arms, Pro 5.0 Shifter, ZEX Nitrous 125 Shot, 4.10s.Coming soon: cams or 5.4 swap

Gold Award 
    Dont know dude..........

I would say starting from a 13.2 to a 12.5 for n/a.... And forced induction 12.3 to 11.5

I am talking about the rpm range.....

Depending on your mods, you don't want to starve your motor. Are you running stock injectors? What year is your car? OBD1 uses a chip, unless your running a stand alone engine management system, then you can use a flash tuner. Setting your M.A.F. function, is the most critical part of your tune, if that is off your whole tune is off. Do you have use of a dyno, or lap top. One thing to remember, if tuning on a dyno, that's exactly what your doing your tuning your car to that particular dyno. The best way to do it is with a lap top, and have a friend with you it's kind of hard to see what's going on and drive at the same time. But you could start off somewhere around 13.4 - 13.6 at 5,500 RPM. If your running Denso's, or any other plug after you get it to this point, pull a couple of plugs towards the back of the motor, if they have a light tan color your there. The whole thing depends on your mods. And if your not running Denso plugs, yank them all your motor will thank you for it. Good luck, ITLRUN.

Quote Originally Posted by ITLRUN View Post
    Depending on your mods, you don't want to starve your motor. Are you running stock injectors? What year is your car? OBD1 uses a chip, unless your running a stand alone engine management system, then you can use a flash tuner. Setting your M.A.F. function, is the most critical part of your tune, if that is off your whole tune is off. Do you have use of a dyno, or lap top. One thing to remember, if tuning on a dyno, that's exactly what your doing your tuning your car to that particular dyno. The best way to do it is with a lap top, and have a friend with you it's kind of hard to see what's going on and drive at the same time. But you could start off somewhere around 13.4 - 13.6 at 5,500 RPM. If your running Denso's, or any other plug after you get it to this point, pull a couple of plugs towards the back of the motor, if they have a light tan color your there. The whole thing depends on your mods. And if your not running Denso plugs, yank them all your motor will thank you for it. Good luck, ITLRUN.
    DUDE!!!
    You are SOOOOOOOO D A M N funny!

The Nunn's
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBill View Post
    DUDE!!!
    You are SOOOOOOOO D A M N funny!
    ..+1

Platinum Award 
    can we do custom user titles? lol

someone is in need of one... :)
    2005 v6 redfire mustang. yup its slow.
    12.03 @ 118.5 best et
    12.11 @ 122.0 best mph

Quote Originally Posted by 2ND2NUNN View Post
    ..+1
    OK Wild Bill; # 1 What's so damn funny, about my reply to his question about his A.F.R.? #2 If your last name is not DEVINE, where does the Wild Bill name come from? Last time I heard, my cousin was running in the 6's, now that is 2nd2nun. I don't want to set him in the wrong direction, with his A.F.R. I don't use Diablo Sport, I've used SCT for years probably since David started the business. Or was it the Denso's that got you laughing? If your tuning on a dyno, you know as well as I do it's only a close starting point. The only true and proven tune, is on the track. There is a lot more to A.F.R. then meets the eye. I think you know that. The reason I asked about the last name, I have a cousin that runs in NMRA PRO 5.0 Division, Mike Devine ( ITLRUN ).

Quote Originally Posted by ITLRUN View Post
    OK Wild Bill; # 1 What's so damn funny, about my reply to his question about his A.F.R.? #2 If your last name is not DEVINE, where does the Wild Bill name come from? Last time I heard, my cousin was running in the 6's, now that is 2nd2nun. I don't want to set him in the wrong direction, with his A.F.R. I don't use Diablo Sport, I've used SCT for years probably since David started the business. Or was it the Denso's that got you laughing? If your tuning on a dyno, you know as well as I do it's only a close starting point. The only true and proven tune, is on the track. There is a lot more to A.F.R. then meets the eye. I think you know that. The reason I asked about the last name, I have a cousin that runs in NMRA PRO 5.0 Division, Mike Devine ( ITLRUN ).
    I'm sorry Sir. I'm not going to get into a pizzing contest here, but YOU are NOT those people and you said some VERY incorrect things in your post. I've tuned quite a few cars and I'm the only one to tune MY car and she holds a few Mach1 records and will make a few more in the next month or so with the stock computer..........can you say 8s?

BTW........I know Steve Petty!

Yes I have a laptop and stuff ready but I don't have a wideband.
    2005 GT Mustang 5 spd, Shaker 1000, Short Antenna, JBA Headers, JBA O/R X pipe, BBK TB 62mm, C&L CAI, Diablosport tune, BMR LC Arms, Pro 5.0 Shifter, ZEX Nitrous 125 Shot, 4.10s.Coming soon: cams or 5.4 swap