Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 89 Notch Emissions issue

89 Notch Emissions issue

On the back of the air pump, there is a fitting for fresh air intake. My question to this is, Is there anything that connects to that fitting? And the top of the air pump is an elbow fitting that feeds fresh air to the crossover tubes, fresh air tube to the cats. I know there is various tubing inbetween, plus the check valve, diverter valve all with vacuum fittings. My question to this matter is, Is there a way to bypass the tubing that feeds fresh air into the headers, and links to a tube that comes off the back of the heads, basically can I run a hose off the fresh air feed elbow, into the check valve, to the diverter valve, eliminating the fresh air tube that feeds air into the headers, or manifolds, and take it directly to the fresh air tube that comes out of the crossover tube between the cats? Anyone? Mike, ITLRUN.

I know when I had a 5.0 they made a kit that totally eliminated the smog pump. It was just a pulley that filled in the hole that was left when the pump was removed.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Quote Originally Posted by BurnTire View Post
    I know when I had a 5.0 they made a kit that totally eliminated the smog pump. It was just a pulley that filled in the hole that was left when the pump was removed.
    Appreciate the reply, I know of some kits they have out there. My concern is I have a Magnaflow X pipe with cats, and there is a crossover tube with the fresh air tube coming out facing forward, it's a .75" tube to prevent burnout on the cats. I have most of the parts, but I have to eliminate the part they had on the old stock 5.0's the tubes that went into the manifolds, that came together with the tube that came out of the back side of the heads. It use to be out of the pump, to a check valve, then to a diverter valve, I think when it went to the diverter valve, it split off the bottom side of the valve went to the exhaust tubes in the manifolds and the other side went to the fresh air tube at the cats. If I get a chance I'll downsize the photo or go to Summit Racing.com and look up part no. MPE-93332, and you'll see the tube I'm talking about coming out of that crossover tube between the cats. Thanks, Mike ITLRUN.

I don't think it would blow out the cats not running the line. I know the line you are talking about on the cross over you would obviously to weld it closed if you choose to eliminate the setup.
    My car does not have this old school emissions stuff and my Magnaflows cats are fine.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Quote Originally Posted by BurnTire View Post
    I don't think it would blow out the cats not running the line. I know the line you are talking about on the cross over you would obviously to weld it closed if you choose to eliminate the setup.
    My car does not have this old school emissions stuff and my Magnaflows cats are fine.
    It's not so much the idea of blowing out the cats, without fresh air being injected into the exhaust, that was those tubes screwed into the manifolds. By injecting fresh air into the exhaust, it would actually help with the combustion of unburnt gasses in the exhaust and prevent the cats from BURNING OUT. Today, everything is done electronically that is why you don't see that crossover tube anymore. I have to eliminate injecting fresh air up stream in the exhaust, and go directly downstream to that crossover tube. There is no place to bolt on the tube that goes between the back of the heads, and my headers aren't set up for the exhaust tubes. The engine, is set up with a Trick Flow Track Heat upper and lower intake, with a one inch phenolic spacer, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads, 2.02-1.60 valves, Custom ground solid roller cam, etc. etc. What I am trying to do is where the diverter valve spits the fresh air off, is just let the fresh air go into the atmosphere instead of the exhaust tubes, and go right to the fresh air tube in the crossover. Mike, ITLRUN. I can't wait until August, of this year when the state of Massachusetts eliminates the emissions test for these older cars. ITLRUN
    Last edited by ITLRUN; 02-10-08 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ITLRUN View Post
    It's not so much the idea of blowing out the cats, without fresh air being injected into the exhaust, that was those tubes screwed into the manifolds. By injecting fresh air into the exhaust, it would actually help with the combustion of unburnt gasses in the exhaust and prevent the cats from BURNING OUT. Today, everything is done electronically that is why you don't see that crossover tube anymore. I have to eliminate injecting fresh air up stream in the exhaust, and go directly downstream to that crossover tube. There is no place to bolt on the tube that goes between the back of the heads, and my headers aren't set up for the exhaust tubes. The engine, is set up with a Trick Flow Track Heat upper and lower intake, with a one inch phenolic spacer, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads, 2.02-1.60 valves, Custom ground solid roller cam, etc. etc. What I am trying to do is where the diverter valve spits the fresh air off, is just let the fresh air go into the atmosphere instead of the exhaust tubes, and go right to the fresh air tube in the crossover. Mike, ITLRUN. I can't wait until August, of this year when the state of Massachusetts eliminates the emissions test for these older cars. ITLRUN
    I want to run the fresh air set up, it's a matter of passing state vehicle inspection. And what hooks up to the intake tube on the back of the air pump?

Quote Originally Posted by ITLRUN View Post
    I want to run the fresh air set up, it's a matter of passing state vehicle inspection. And what hooks up to the intake tube on the back of the air pump?
    I am not sure. It has been a long time since I had a 5.0.

Anyone else know?
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Im lost too.... What are trying to do...hook it up different?....

Quote Originally Posted by 93mustank View Post
    Im lost too.... What are trying to do...hook it up different?....
    Yes, have the pump, both fittings off the pump, checkvalve, divertervalve, no tubes to manifolds, or headers, and no place for tube behind heads that hooks to tube that goes into headers. has Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Track Heat Heads, no spot on the back of the heads to put that tube. I need to go from exhaust port on the pump, to the checkvalve, then to divertervalve, and to fresh air tube between cats. I'm trying to find out what comes off the intake side of the pump, the fitting that comes out the back side.
    Last edited by ITLRUN; 02-11-08 at 11:42 PM.

Think you can pass without all of that.... Just pretend everything is hooked up before you go and let it hang..... let the tubes for behind the heads hang or just bolt them on...