Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBK Cold Air intake and NO TUNE

Hybrid View

Gold Award 

BBK Cold Air intake and NO TUNE

I put a BBK Cold Air intake on my 07 mustang. American Muscle told me that it did not require a tune in order to work prpoperly. I did not want to tune the car until the warranty was up and that was why I specificly bought that intake. Well now my warning light came on and I believe that the car may be running to lean. Should I take the intake off and wait for the warranty to expire and than just go get it tunned? Or does Sanderson Ford (Since they are a performance dealer) tune your car and let you keep the warranty intact? Does any one have any ideas?
    2007 Mustang GT/CS - 20 inch Custom Boyd Coddingtons, BFG KDW, Ford Racing air intake, x-pipe, pro cal tune, JBA axel backs.

Prob have to buy the parts from sanderson ford. One of the performance packages. Then they prob have to put it on in order to have anything covered under warranty to include a tune

Gold Award 
    That is what I think also. I am going to call BBK in the morning and also American Muscle to see what they say. I know that Stage Three also sells that same intake I may see what they say also. All in all I am going to keep the air intake and if I have to get a Tune done that is fine I was just thinking that I would wait until the warranty is up, not sure if any one else has had a warranty problem once they performance tune there car? I here that performance solution racing does a good job but what is a good price for just a tune if I already have a cold air intake? And do they do such a simple tune or are they all about race tunes? Sorry I have alot of questions.
    2007 Mustang GT/CS - 20 inch Custom Boyd Coddingtons, BFG KDW, Ford Racing air intake, x-pipe, pro cal tune, JBA axel backs.

just keep the intake and get a hand held tune. That way if you have to take it in for service you can just put the stock intake back on and put the stock tune back on as well. once the car is fixed just put the bbk back on and get the hand held tune and load that up as well. ford would never know.

Gold Award 
    Yeah I think your right. Is it much trouble to use the hand held tuner? I have seen many but never used one yet. I will ask the guys at stage three and see what they recommend.

I still cant understand why anyone buys those metal intakes, they get so ****ing hot it cant be any good for IAT's my finger about melted to it after i touched one while the car had been running, I'll stick to the PVC/plastic intakes

Gold Award 
    Yeah I always wondered why they made these with metal. Very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by ahawkins View Post
    I still cant understand why anyone buys those metal intakes, they get so ****ing hot it cant be any good for IAT's my finger about melted to it after i touched one while the car had been running, I'll stick to the PVC/plastic intakes
    Think about it, your motor idleing is sucking air in at about 400fps. If the intake tube is about 16" long the air is in there for less than a 10th of a second. I doubt it will get hot enough in that time to affect anything.

Quote Originally Posted by maddme View Post
    I put a BBK Cold Air intake on my 07 mustang. American Muscle told me that it did not require a tune in order to work prpoperly. I did not want to tune the car until the warranty was up and that was why I specificly bought that intake. Well now my warning light came on and I believe that the car may be running to lean. Should I take the intake off and wait for the warranty to expire and than just go get it tunned? Or does Sanderson Ford (Since they are a performance dealer) tune your car and let you keep the warranty intact? Does any one have any ideas?

i had the same problem with my '00. i have a K&N and no more than a month of having installed my engine light came on. it turs out that it was the mass air flow sensor that set it off.

Gold Award 
    Well I have recently sold the BBK CAI and have had the dealer install a FORD RACING CAI and a Pro Cal Racing Tune along with a FR X-PIPE. No problems and all covered under factory warranty. Good luck with yours.