Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Irs?

So, the stock IRS will take DOT slicks, but not full slicks? If so, I was thinking about getting a pair of 26" DOTs. I figure that I can start with the 26" size but not sure about wheel size will clear the rear brakes. Honestly, this is the first time I've bothered to research this, feeling that I still need to change the IRS subframe and control arm bushings. I already have the diff bushings done (much reduced wheelhop).
    '03 Cobra - Mildly modded. A work in progress. 12.566 @ 110.755, 1.89 60' on street tires
    '93 Notch - Looks faster than it is.
    '72 F100 4x4 - Dormant, for now.
    Race '99 L - 12.40 @ 110

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0Stanger View Post
    So, the stock IRS will take DOT slicks, but not full slicks? If so, I was thinking about getting a pair of 26" DOTs. I figure that I can start with the 26" size but not sure about wheel size will clear the rear brakes. Honestly, this is the first time I've bothered to research this, feeling that I still need to change the IRS subframe and control arm bushings. I already have the diff bushings done (much reduced wheelhop).
    I am running full slicks on my IRS. All of my bushings are stock.

If you don't have a billet flow IRS brace get one or you will have an IRS that looks like this.

The cure.

You will need a 16" or 17" rim.

MT ET streets 26 X 11.5 x 16 or 26 x 11.5 x 17 (these can go on stock rims)

The 16" will give better traction due to more sidewall.

Diamond racing wheels makes some affordable rims for the 16's.

http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/AvengerSeries.htm

If you choose the diamond just call them and tell them you have an IRS cobra and they will send you the correct backspacing.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Thanks for the info. The only mods to the IRS I've done are the MM aluminum diff bushings and the Billetflow brace. I'll check on the wheels.
    '03 Cobra - Mildly modded. A work in progress. 12.566 @ 110.755, 1.89 60' on street tires
    '93 Notch - Looks faster than it is.
    '72 F100 4x4 - Dormant, for now.
    Race '99 L - 12.40 @ 110