Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 88 GT Turbo Project!

My 88 GT Turbo Project!

Well, since I'm buying a bunch of parts instead of just buying a complete kit, I guess this belongs in the DIY Section. My initial goal is to have the kit together and up and running in the car sometime next year. This will depend on time and funds, mainly time. I also plan on repainting my car as well. Well here's the low down on what I'm putting together:

I purchased a Garrett 76mm turbo which will feed my Fox Lake built 331. The turbo was acquired from a member from a local Stang board that purchased it from Saleen91 on this board. This setup will be run at low boost (8 - 10 psi or around 550RWHP since the block is a late 60's casting) on the 331 till I have everything transferred into a Dart Iron Eagle block. For my intercooling needs, I went with one of the VS Racing 4" units. The only onther engine related parts I have acquired so far is a Edelbrock Victor 5.0 EFI intake with Professional Products 75mm TB. I will be going with a Tial 44mm WG and Tial 50mm BOV.

Right now my car is at a local shop (www.rodeheavershotrod.com) having a 10-point cage installed, Torque box reinforcements welded in, New Custom Sub Frame Connectors made (Old ones are in pictures), Rear End built, and the Rear Suspension installed (Including Anti Roll Bar). Rodeheaver's built my 8.8 with Big Bearing 9" housing ends, Moser 33-spline axles, Full Spool, SVO Girdle, SOS (snoopstang) Axle tube braces, Welded Axel Tubes and FMS Disc Brakes. Rodeheaver's also slightly narrowed the rear to accomodate my Weld Draglite 15 x 9 (5.5" BS - I got these and front 15 x 4 with tires for $210 in case you wondered why that size wheel) with MT ET DRAG 28 x 10.5. Here's some of the work:

After the above list is done, I will be bring the car back home to install the front suspension and brakes. Then I will set the engine back into thae car followed by mocking up the the Hot Side Parts from BG CUSTOM TURBO to mount the turbo. Once this is done, car will go back to Rodeheaver's to have all the cold-side piping made. Now that everything will be plummed, I will be able to make any engine/dress-up covers before pulling everything back out to repaint the car. Once the car is repainted, everything will be going back in for some low-boost street time. I will be using an Anderson PMS for tuning, PMAS Blow-Thru MAF, 60# Injectors, 255 In-tank and T-rex external for the low-boost setup. When the Dart block comes along, the injectors will be stepped up to 150#'ers and a adequate fuel system built.

Tranny setup is still up in the air. Initial plan is to go with a Turbo 400, but I am contemplating a PA Performance C-4 since they have a liftetime warranty. I know that the C-4 will be at the ragged edge once I step up the boost, but aren't warranties a great thing?

All I know is I'm really looking forward to finally doing what I have always wanted to do to this car and it should be fun!

Looks Good Ed.

50 BMG see that orange turbo.

What brakes and rotors do you have on that solid?
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Quote Originally Posted by BurnTire View Post

What brakes and rotors do you have on that solid?
    The rear brakes are the FMS Explorer brakes. They are a nice piece since they still incorporate a Parking Brake.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=1790

The rear brakes ran me $375 and I got a Wilwood Kit for the front for $700 shipped that I still have to put on the car.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Pages/08/index.asp

Platinum Award 
    Any update?
    JENNABEARS Foundation
    www.jennabearsfoundation.org

Yea Ed what is going on with the tangerine.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Got all the Hot Side Turbo parts from B&G Turbo and the front brakes are on the car. Now I've got to get the engine back in so I can fabup all the Cold Side before stripping the car back down to repaint it. Here's some pictures of the Hot Side parts:
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Platinum Award 
    Brians stuff always look nice, what coating is that I thought he only offered black/blue (atleast when I almost bought a B&G kit he did)

I noticed you said a 76mm Garrett..any more specs on the turbo?
    Looks like a 3.5" downpipe also...beautiful!

Coming along nice and it looks great!!
    JENNABEARS Foundation

The coating is a High Heat with Teflon that Duplicolor makes. Good eye on the downpipe, it's a 3.5" for the P-trim Turbo.

All this turbo talk. I just have a black blower and a belt. LOL
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Platinum Award 
    What size A/R?
    JENNABEARS Foundation