Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple Gauge Wiring Question

Quote Originally Posted by ASUSMC View Post
    How much is one of them things? And is it just plug into that and run the wires directly to it and it dims?
    I think they a like $7 from autozone.

Yes you plug into the adjustable illumination fuse slot # 37 (check you owners manual) then place the wires you want to dim into the crimp end and your done.

I attached some pics. You can see the 2 wires going into the crimp end.

Those are my boost and fuel back lights.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

You have two of those things in there. Is that one for each or you just put both wires into the same butt connector and crimp? I would imagine if you are dimming both you would crimp both into the same connector correct?
    2012 Race Red GT w/ a 5 Liter and a 6 speed
    2010 Dodge Challenger R/T traded in.
    '03 DBS Cobra .... Traded in, THANK GOD
    '01 Ford Lightning.... Sold, sorely missed

Quote Originally Posted by ASUSMC View Post
    You have two of those things in there. Is that one for each or you just put both wires into the same butt connector and crimp? I would imagine if you are dimming both you would crimp both into the same connector correct?
    I have about 5 of those things under there. You just can't see them all. LOL

You put all the wires you want to dim into 1 connector. You pull the fuse out of the slot and put it in the add a circuit. The plug the add a circuit into the slot.
    There are 2 fuses in the add a circuit.

As long as you are plugged into the correct slot (adjustable illumination) they will dim.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Quote Originally Posted by BurnTire View Post
    I have about 5 of those things under there. You just can't see them all. LOL
    Ummmm, that will put the same amount of load on each circuit (Or at least the feed wires for that circuit at the fuse block) as simply splicing the wires. At least if you splice the wire directly, the circuit is still protected by the correct fuse rating it was intended for. With that Add-a-Circuit you are pulling let's say 50 amp on a wire that was intended for 20 amp.

There's no problem for something as small as a illumination light, but don't try that with something that pulls alot of amps. You'll either short out a fusible link or worst case, melt the wire that feeds the fuseblock for that circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper_ed View Post
    Ummmm, that will put the same amount of load on each circuit (Or at least the feed wires for that circuit at the fuse block) as simply splicing the wires. At least if you splice the wire directly, the circuit is still protected by the correct fuse rating it was intended for. Now you are pulling let's say 50 amp on a wire that was intended for 20 amp.

There's no problem for something as small as a illumination light, but don't try that with something that pulls alot of amps. You'll either short out a fusible link or worst case, melt the wire that feeds the fuseblock for that circuit.
    The correct fuse is still in there. You pull the factory fuse and add it to the add a circuit. Then there is an additional fuse for the wires you are feeding. These are not 50 AMP fuses.

I have a 10AMP on the factory side and a 5AMP on the line powering the gauge lighting.

It is all good VIPER ED John Doe.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

lol i bet u wished i wrote my writeup on my electrical installl on my gauges now

while i was doing my gauge overlay install i tapped into the blue/white wire from the headlight switch and i was done :)
    01 Mustang GT

The correct fuse is still in there. You pull the factory fuse and add it to the add a circuit. Then there is an additional fuse for the wires you are feeding. These are not 50 AMP fuses.

I have a 10AMP on the factory side and a 5AMP on the line powering the gauge lighting.

It is all good VIPER ED John Doe.
    I realize the correct fuse is still in there, but the wire that feeds that slot has not changed. I used 50 amp as an example if you would have a 30 and a 20 in there. With your 10 and 5, the total possible load on that feeding wire could be as much as 15 amp. No big deal in that case, but if the wire is 20ga or 22ga that feeds it, don't try running a 10amp and 30amp fuse off of it.

Yours tuuly,

International Man of Mystery!

LOL.
    I hope my car doesn't burn down.
    John Doe is cool!
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

I hope my car doesn't burn down.
    Just stick to the tire part and you'll be fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper_ed View Post
    Just stick to the tire part and you'll be fine!
    Burntire and Burnwire.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5