Thread: Chasis set up

Hybrid View

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! (Don't worry about it... you're too young to understand).

Sam found that when he hooked to the point of 100% traction things started breaking. He has a 4-spd so his "hit" will be a lot faster and harder than our automatics. You have made the two expensive fixes already (converter and trans). He actually tore the base plate welds from the traction bar on one side. He is now working with squat and anti-squat to slow the shock to the drive line and tires. Man, there are many different directions the energy can go on launch. All are trade-offs. You will be "The Place" to have a SN95 preped for the track when you get your car dialed in. I don't ever remember hearing anyone talk about chasis work being done at AMP or SVC. It's always about horse power. I believe that a lot of GT's and Machs are going to surprise the stock Cobras if they gain .2-.3 in the 60'. That equates to A LOT of time in the traps.

FWIW . . . my car is going pretty consistent 1.4x 60 foot times with a fairly simple setup. When weighed, the car was 52%/48% front/rear. I'm using Maximum Motorsports adjustable LCAs, UPR double adjustable UCAs, and a Competition Engineering antiroll bar.

I'm still on the stock shocks and springs (with over 100k miles on them) and I haven't even played with the pinion angle yet. Once I get some nice adjustable shocks and some drag springs, I expect to see 60s in the 1.30s.

That said . . the car hooks . . . like this:

I must have missed something when I read about the control arms. I thought the only reason for changing the control arms was to adjust the pinion angle, and maybe take out the sloppyness of the bushings?

Your car is awesome on it's launch!!!! You haven't messed with the instant center?

Nope . . haven't messed with the instant center. BUT . . . I took over 600 pounds of weight out of the front of the car. So, when it weighed in at 52% of the weight in front and 48% in back and 60 pounds heavier on the driver's side front (with me in it) we knew it was a pretty balanced car.

At this point I'm less worried about the IC and more worried about pinion angle and proper shocks/springs in the back. FWIW, I'm running coilovers in the front with 14" 175 pound springs and Lakewood 90/10 drag struts. Never forget the front end when you're setting up a car.

My goal is to see if I can pull better 60' times without spending alot of $$$$ on new parts. Like rsnider said earlier I've already shelled out enough cash on my new T/C and trans set up, and I don't have any left for the suspension right now. But I can relocate my mount for free just takes alittle time after work one night. I know it will help get the Mach to hook alot better.

Don't worry rsnider I'm going to be doing some reinforcing with along with the relocation.

Are you running spherical bushings Tad?
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Quote Originally Posted by BurnTire View Post
    Are you running spherical bushings Tad?

Yes.

FWIW . . . I have one of the only SN95s I've ever seen that actually launches level and pulls both wheels equally off the ground. So, I must have done something right . . . for once . . lol

Quote Originally Posted by TRUUBLE View Post
    Yes.

FWIW . . . I have one of the only SN95s I've ever seen that actually launches level and pulls both wheels equally off the ground. So, I must have done something right . . . for once . . lol
    Yes it looks nice and straight.

It was more exciting without the anti roll setup.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5