Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate labor charges

Angry I hate labor charges

Took the wife's 04' Explorer in due to some god awful noise it was making which ended up being the timing belt tensioners. Walked out a week later with $1030 worth of labor charges for replacing $175 worth of parts.

So frustrating!!!!

Ouch, always sucks to get hit so hard on the labor. What the heck took so long for a belt tensioner??

Which engine? The wifes '04 Expedition with the 4.6 and 110k miles was making nosies and I was told it was the tensioners. We traded it in on a Flex instead. Now we get 22~25mpg instead of 15 with the 265hp V-6.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter3 View Post
    Took the wife's 04' Explorer in due to some god awful noise it was making which ended up being the timing belt tensioners. Walked out a week later with $1030 worth of labor charges for replacing $175 worth of parts.

So frustrating!!!!
    Hank
    Phoenix
    '89 ASC/McLaren #176
    '87 ASC/McLaren #134 SOLD!
    '85 GT Orig Owner 27k miles

Quote Originally Posted by HanksGT View Post
    Which engine? The wifes '04 Expedition with the 4.6 and 110k miles was making nosies and I was told it was the tensioners. We traded it in on a Flex instead. Now we get 22~25mpg instead of 15 with the 265hp V-6.
    i have the tensioner noise for a year and 20.000 miles and wait for it to die you can get a 50k motor and install for 1200$

This is the Eddie Bauer unit with the V-6 and 180,000 miles on the clock. We have put almost $5000 worth of work into it over the last several months. We are trying to keep it on the road so my daughter can drive it in a year when she gets her license, but I am not sure it will last that long. I just can't get the wife to part with it. She loves the truck too much. We had a nice new 2012 Expedition as a rental and she hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by 03cobrazzz View Post
    i have the tensioner noise for a year and 20.000 miles and wait for it to die you can get a 50k motor and install for 1200$
    That is why I wanted it fixed. Did not want the engine to go and have to dump the truck. Cheaper to fix it and keep it on the road as long as I can.

I'm not to crazy about a used engine, unless I Could hear it run. Then it has to be installed and then it get the same gas mileage as we had before. I was concerned if I let it go, it would cause more damage to the engine when something let loose. Plus we had it for 8 years so it was getting time for a new vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by 03cobrazzz View Post
    Hank
    Phoenix
    '89 ASC/McLaren #176
    '87 ASC/McLaren #134 SOLD!
    '85 GT Orig Owner 27k miles

I'm not to crazy about a used engine, unless I Could hear it run. Then it has to be installed and then it get the same gas mileage as we had before. I was concerned if I let it go, it would cause more damage to the engine when something let loose. Plus we had it for 8 years so it was getting time for a new vehicle.
    *00 for used motor400 to put it in 1200spend is the same money as fixit by taking the front cover off im concerned in that moment that all the shavings from the plastic guides plug up the oilpickup and starve the engine any way but mine has only 100k on it so to do it right engine needs to come out and then its only a question of low miles and used or take a chance with the high miler just my 2 cents and no carpayments

Update:
    Started the truck up this morning and it is making the same noise and it sound worse. When I called my service advisor he seemed shocked that it was still making the noise. Weird thing is after having the car 3 days he said that the guides were not the problem and that the tech was putting the truck back together. He then said something about the oil pump. A day later he said the truck was done and it ended up being the tensioners. So after a week of not having the truck, rental fees and then $1300 it is still not right.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter3 View Post
    Update:Started the truck up this morning and it is making the same noise and it sound worse. When I called my service advisor he seemed shocked that it was still making the noise. Weird thing is after having the car 3 days he said that the guides were not the problem and that the tech was putting the truck back together. He then said something about the oil pump. A day later he said the truck was done and it ended up being the tensioners. So after a week of not having the truck, rental fees and then $1300 it is still not right.
    What is the type of noise it is making? And when is it making the noise? When its hot, cold, at idle?
    Last edited by 05mustangman; 05-14-12 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 05mustangman View Post
    What is the type of noise it is making? And when is it making the noise? When its hot, cold, at idle?
    If I could describe it, it sounds like someone is putting a stick into a slow moving metal fan. If that makes sense. It seems to be worse when it is cold after sitting all night and then when you put it in gear. When the wife got home you could not hear it, but the engine was hot after driving 50 miles from work. The truck shifts fine.