Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I hate labor charges

Well I had a similar problem with my 03 lightning that really puzzled me for the longest time and even Ford didn't know what it was. It was like a humming or almost grinding type noise that would happen say when my foot is on the gas just holding speed or sitting at a stop light. I finally thought about changing the IAC and that solved the issue. The IAC was going out and becomes really loud. Swapped that out and haven't had the issue since. Not saying that's what your issue could be. I would definitely find your IAC and listen to it when the noise happens.

2010 GT500 - Modded out the Wazoo. Tuned by Shelby American Motorsports. Las Vegas, NV.
    2003 Ford Lightning- Airaid intake, Bassani exhaust, Lakewood torsion bar, 2" drop shackels and a few more mods.

I had replaced the IAC on the Expedition already. On cold start-up it would rev to 2,000 rpm before coming down to 1,100. I think that's too high on a cold engine and srtarted the wear on the cam tensioners.

Quote Originally Posted by 05mustangman View Post
    Well I had a similar problem with my 03 lightning that really puzzled me for the longest time and even Ford didn't know what it was. It was like a humming or almost grinding type noise that would happen say when my foot is on the gas just holding speed or sitting at a stop light. I finally thought about changing the IAC and that solved the issue. The IAC was going out and becomes really loud. Swapped that out and haven't had the issue since. Not saying that's what your issue could be. I would definitely find your IAC and listen to it when the noise happens.
    Hank
    Phoenix
    '89 ASC/McLaren #176
    '87 ASC/McLaren #134 SOLD!
    '85 GT Orig Owner 27k miles

Quote Originally Posted by HanksGT View Post
    I had replaced the IAC on the Expedition already. On cold start-up it would rev to 2,000 rpm before coming down to 1,100. I think that's too high on a cold engine and srtarted the wear on the cam tensioners.
    my noise is only at start up when it was sitting over night and goes away after 30sec and is fine for the day but that are the tensioners and guides when it makes the noise when its hot its a different issue give it back to them to diag it right and fix it and they should give you a loaner this time be firm but nice angry does not get you anywhere wich ford dealer was it you may want to speak with the service manager to get it done

I'd take it right back to the dealer and have them fix it since they misdiagnosed it.. period... the 4.0 sohc motor has one chain in the front that drives the cam in one head then has a jack shaft that runs another chain in the rear for the passenger side head.. at least thats what I recall from the 99-02 era.. but I would be right back at the dealer.. period..

the IACs normally cause a howling noise... the metal spoke noise sounds like a chain.. but..
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.
    -Gerald Ford

Nawww Dude.. I ate a whole pizza...
    -Wade

Quote Originally Posted by SloSVO View Post
    I'd take it right back to the dealer and have them fix it since they misdiagnosed it.. period... the 4.0 sohc motor has one chain in the front that drives the cam in one head then has a jack shaft that runs another chain in the rear for the passenger side head.. at least thats what I recall from the 99-02 era.. but I would be right back at the dealer.. period..

the IACs normally cause a howling noise... the metal spoke noise sounds like a chain.. but..
    Thanks Alex, we are going to take it back next week. It was really bad this morning. At idle you can't hear it much, but once the car is in gear the noise starts. Put it back in nuetral and the sound goes away for the most part. Hope to get it sorted out next week.