Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Octane Booster

Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

I don't pretend to know much about tuning but, how does adding octane add horsepower, unless the tune requires it, ie more timing or more boost. If the tune is the same and is tuned on 91, then all you should need is 91 right, and running higher octane should only help prevent pinging. I know you guys get some high temps ij the summer, so I could see the benifet of running higher octane as a preventive measure, but how would it give you more power if the tune didn't require it. Again I don't know much about tunning and I'm always looking for more insight on the matter.
    Whipple Supercharger w140ax, Billet flow idlers, 3.5 upper, 4lb Metco lower, Pfab IC tank, Accufab throttle body, Jlt Intake, KB Boost-a-pump, Bassani X pipe w/ cats, Bassani cat back, Lakewood 70/30 front struts, Centerforce dual Friction clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Billet flow irs brace, H&R race springs, Autometer Boost/Fp/Dynojet Wideband Commander, Xcal 2 tuned by Greg@Ret.

Quote Originally Posted by jophis37 View Post
    I don't pretend to know much about tuning but, how does adding octane add horsepower, unless the tune requires it, ie more timing or more boost. If the tune is the same and is tuned on 91, then all you should need is 91 right, and running higher octane should only help prevent pinging. I know you guys get some high temps ij the summer, so I could see the benifet of running higher octane as a preventive measure, but how would it give you more power if the tune didn't require it. Again I don't know much about tunning and I'm always looking for more insight on the matter.

If you are going to up your octane you should run the appropriate timing for max power gain and performance.

If you are running 93 octane 17 degrees on 19PSI and put 109 octane into the mix you should advance to MBT of 23 degrees for the best gains.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Quote Originally Posted by Jacostang View Post
    Does anyone know what is the best Octane Booster that really works besides Race Fuel of course or is it a waste of money????? The last stuff I tried was by Champion and it said it was the max for street use up to 15 points, so that would put the pump gas 91 to about 92 or almost 93? Right?

In older cars with a performance engine I would use torco to prevent pinging in the summer or just pull a little timing out. But if I were trying to add octant booster for more power then I would only use 109 race gas and have the car tuned for it. Otherwise your just paying more for the gas if you don't get it tuned for the higher octane. So IMHO it just depends on what your are trying to accomplish as to which one I would recommend. Just my , for what it worths.

Good reply Shane.
    I did even know we had a 2 cent smilie.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Thanks

At a shop I worked at back in Indiana we did a lot of testing on this subject. We tested different boosters for power on the dyno, at the track, and in the hot humid summers back there. With aggressive timing and bumped up compression you would get a little pining on the street with pump gas in the summer, but a little torco would cure it without the loss of power you get when you pull timing. And torco was the only one that actually helped in all three areas. BUT I WOULD NEVER use it in place of race gas for a balls out tune for the track. Race gas does make more power when tuned for it, a lot more.