Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taxes???????????????????

Taxes???????????????????

I've been actively looking for a new place to buy here in the valley. I've got a question. What dictates the property tax rate? Do some cities have higher rates...........like double than others?
    I'm going by what I see on sites like Zillow. Also on that site, it shows the taxes paid fluctuating by quite a bit. Is that normal or is that because of the market fallout in the last few years?

Anyway, I think I've found the place I want! Now if I can only close on my place back in Texas soon enough and get this place before it's sold! It's a nice big house, electric gate entrance, 1.13 ac, huge garage AND a HUGE insulated shop.
    WILD BILL
    PRO-AMERICAN

TorchRed 2003 MACH1 (Louise)
    "I remember my fallen brothers so that they may live on."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Platinum Award 
    Bill it really depends, Pinal County is High and here in Mesa, Ultra Low taxes, lowest in the state...
    "The choices we make, dictates the lives we lead"

House sounds awesome. Hopefully everything works out.

With the exception of the far south east valley most citys are in Maricopa County, they assess your property for value and are the bulk of the tax, but each city has some added taxes for schools, police and fire. Add to the bill is water assessments, and any bonds that have been issued in that city. You need to look at your last property tax bill to get a listing for each assessment. Even though the property assessment may have gone down that does not mean your bill will, citys and other can raise their levys to get the money they need (you have no say in this) and the tax bill can be higher with property lower. There is definitly a difference in property tax based on municipality but the bulk of tax is to the county for distribution and that is who collects property tax. It seems that rural counties with less services have lower tax bases. Consider this, citys get most of their tax revenue from sales taxes and local licenses, the countys get most from property tax and licenses, the state gets income tax, sales taxes, and certain fees like your car tags and state excise tax, and the feds get income, excise, fuel, and so much more. I have not come close to what taxes are out there. Consider this, if you have children look at quality of education, also look at quility of life and convenience.....property tax sould be the tie breaker if all other considerations are equal.

RACER00

Quote Originally Posted by Jacostang View Post
    Bill it really depends, Pinal County is High and here in Mesa, Ultra Low taxes, lowest in the state...
    I knew Mesa was really low, but I refuse to live in the same city as my damn nephew..........just on principle. LOL!

It's in Phoenix and the 2010 taxes were $2300. That seems a bit high as is the assessed value of $226000, especially since they are asking $163,000. The asking price is reasonable, but maybe just a hair high for the current market here.
    Here's some pics of the shop!

It even has a shower in the bathroom in the shop!

I need to zip back and finalize my sale there to make an offer here!
    Moving sucks, but I'm actually stoked about this!

HOLY CRAP IT POURING OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WILD BILL
    PRO-AMERICAN

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Silver Award 
    Bill, you should be able to process an appeal on the value of the property with the Maricopa County Assessor's office. Good luck with that man.
    ~Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by IMSHAKN View Post
    Bill, you should be able to process an appeal on the value of the property with the Maricopa County Assessor's office. Good luck with that man.
    It just might carry a bit more weight with a recent sale..................just maybe. LOL!
    WILD BILL
    PRO-AMERICAN

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Silver Award 
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBill View Post
    It just might carry a bit more weight with a recent sale..................just maybe. LOL!
    I would have to say so as well. It may be worth a shot, they are the ones who control that whole deal so obviously it's worth the shot if it'll bring the assessed value down a fair bit.
    ~Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by IMSHAKN View Post
    I would have to say so as well. It may be worth a shot, they are the ones who control that whole deal so obviously it's worth the shot if it'll bring the assessed value down a fair bit.
    Ya never can tell with the government though!
    WILD BILL
    PRO-AMERICAN

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Silver Award 
    Tell me about it, working for any level of the govt is the same way. Even at the local level. Lol
    ~Andrew