Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 Pontiac GTO!

I got to say getting the converter right was a tough challenge. We finally found a local guy that was able to nail it on the first try but it took some hard searching. We burst the FAST 102 Manifold now so we are going to have to deal with that.

Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    I got to say getting the converter right was a tough challenge. We finally found a local guy that was able to nail it on the first try but it took some hard searching. We burst the FAST 102 Manifold now so we are going to have to deal with that.
    It took me two tries to get it right when I had the Cobra.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

I had two reputable vendors just unable to get it right and insist I didn't know what I was talking about. Cost me getting the car dialed in this fall.
    Last edited by wrp; 12-10-13 at 10:51 PM.

LSx block gets in tomorrow. Going to use the Eagle Crank and Rods I have in the 408 and add 4.125 Pistons bringing her out to 427 Ci. More importantly, the LSx will have the 6 bolt heads vice the 4 bolt heads the current LQ9 has. This will allow us to boost in the 25-30 psi range more consistently without lifting the heads.

So say goodbye 408

1000hp ?
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

We passed 1000 4-5 months ago, were at 1145/1269 when the Torque converter became an issue. We lifted the heads at 27 lbs of boost. My limit now will be the turbos and that will be around 1470 rwhp for the two PTE 6266's. Go big Orange....

Not as obvious here as when you look at it but the reluctor wheel (2 of them) have different gaps around the circumference. The wheel is loose in areas, you can tell the two pieces that had been fitted together have become unattached in areas making the assembly sort of wobbly. we'd sort of been all over the board on what the problem might be. Initially thought perhaps a burned piston. Leakdown was indecisive so we theorized that a head was lifting at higher boost. We knew we would not be sure until we had it down. Good news is that the crank, rods, pistons, and LQ9 block are in good shape. The walls are not scuffed or damaged, pistons look okay and the rods show no sign of contacting anything. Probably good thing we pulled it down when we did.

Nice. Do you own a bank?
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Nope, catching a lot of heat from critics suggesting my turbos are too small yadda yadda yadda. I am hoping to recoup some money on the LQ9 and pistons. Selling the Supercharger allowed me to do much of the turbo stuff, fact is, financials are governing the build

So we got the motor back and the heads are done. Waiting on the Turbos to return from Reed. Two brand new units were both on the verge of a catastrophic failure so he replaced the entire bearing housings and bearings. Since we have considerably upgraded the engine, we are going to try a 66 mm Borg Warner unit with a true T4 flange that will give us a little more support for the larger cubic inch unit.