Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 procharged GT overheating

2008 procharged GT overheating

Just started having problems tonight. Car will overheat unless it stays moving (possible indication of bad fans), and there is a wire-burning smell every once in a while. Fluid levels are all good. The ProCharger is making clicking noises...almost sounds like a bad pulley?

Thing is, the previous owner had all the work done at AMP Performance, and they don't have the best track record. This is the first time anything has gone wrong. I've owned it for about 2.5 months.

Any suggestions of what to check/where to take it? I'm stationed in Tucson with the AF. Wish Stage 3 or someone was right around the corner...

Personally i would look at new fans maybe adding a fan on the front to push air through when at an idle. Wire burning could be a bad relay that is killing itself. Or its flipping on and off so much it is burning. Could be a number of things but someone with more knowledge will obviously have a better input.

also you may want to check and see if anything may have got caught up on your intercooler or radiator blocking the airflow. we had this exact same problem on our bmw and that was the problem.

2010 GT500 - Modded out the Wazoo. Tuned by Shelby American Motorsports. Las Vegas, NV.
    2003 Ford Lightning- Airaid intake, Bassani exhaust, Lakewood torsion bar, 2" drop shackels and a few more mods.

you need to see if you fans even come on...also see if any plastic bags are stuck like what he said^^^^^^^^ see if the fans come on with the a/c on.. they pretty come on immediately with the a/c... the burning smell is something to look a asap.. burning smells are like shit smells.. if you smell it its there..lol..
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.
    -Gerald Ford

Nawww Dude.. I ate a whole pizza...
    -Wade

Okay, I'll have to give the intercooler a good look over today. Maybe now that everything has cooled over night I can start looking at the wiring too. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Edit: Anyone know what the noises could be on the ProCharger? Any idea of where I could go to have it checked?

Quote Originally Posted by Woody627 View Post
    Okay, I'll have to give the intercooler a good look over today. Maybe now that everything has cooled over night I can start looking at the wiring too. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Edit: Anyone know what the noises could be on the ProCharger? Any idea of where I could go to have it checked?
    Could be something starting to fail internally on the blower. AZ Dyno Chip is the local fully service performance shop that is a site sponsor. They could take a look at it for you.
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Quote Originally Posted by BurnTire View Post
    Could be something starting to fail internally on the blower. AZ Dyno Chip is the local fully service performance shop that is a site sponsor. They could take a look at it for you.
    They're in the Phoenix area, right? Is there anywhere to go here in Tucson? I wouldn't feel comfortable driving it up there right now with all these problems, and hauling it would probably be expensive unless my buddy's trailer would hold it.

They're in the Phoenix area, right? Is there anywhere to go here in Tucson? I wouldn't feel comfortable driving it up there right now with all these problems, and hauling it would probably be expensive unless my buddy's trailer would hold it.
    Yes near Firebird Raceway.

http://www.arizonadynochip.com
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Cool, I'll have to check them out.

Figured out the problem today...my fan definitely wasn't working, but the fan is in perfect shape. It's a bad relay (explains the burning smell) and/or bad wiring. The dealership isn't open today, so we just rigged a direct connection from the fan to the battery so it's always running. Just something to hold me over to get it home, then to the dealership in the morning. The ride home from where I left it was a little scary, but with the fan operating it kept it right at the normal operating temperature.

As for the ProCharger, it seems to be a bearing that just needs to be oiled. When it's at idle it makes a little racket, but once you give it some gas it sounds just how it should, and I haven't noticed any change in performance (though I have been babying it with the overheat issue).

Thanks for all the help, guys! Now I just need to find a place to put on my replacement driver's side skirt. Got distracted by a female passenger when I first got the car =)

Cool, I'll have to check them out.

Figured out the problem today...my fan definitely wasn't working, but the fan is in perfect shape. It's a bad relay (explains the burning smell) and/or bad wiring. The dealership isn't open today, so we just rigged a direct connection from the fan to the battery so it's always running. Just something to hold me over to get it home, then to the dealership in the morning. The ride home from where I left it was a little scary, but with the fan operating it kept it right at the normal operating temperature.

As for the ProCharger, it seems to be a bearing that just needs to be oiled. When it's at idle it makes a little racket, but once you give it some gas it sounds just how it should, and I haven't noticed any change in performance (though I have been babying it with the overheat issue).

Thanks for all the help, guys! Now I just need to find a place to put on my replacement driver's side skirt. Got distracted by a female passenger when I first got the car =)

Post up a picture of the distraction. LOL

I would suggest taking a video clip of the blower noise and send it over to procharger to see what they have to say.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5