I went to start the stang today and the starter kept cranking the engine and would not stop without disconnecting the battery cable... I tried taking off the ignition wire on the solenoid, but it still cranked. Measured the Ohms between both terminals and obviously it had welded itself. Went to Autozone, replaced the solenoid. Maybe 5 starts and it does it again, welded inside again... I picked up a solenoid from Carquest, and it has been working so far. My question is, what causes this? The car has a new starter also. I see everyone in other forums converting to the 94-96 (i think) starters... I just don't see the point of changing something that was engineered to be this way from the factory, and obviously, I am not looking to buy a new starter when I have one already... I have also read that the Ford solenoids are better quality, I am not surprised the VatoZone ones went to crap so quick...So, I am asking opinions, is it really necessary to convert to the newer style starter? Should I just go to ford and get a factory solenoid? Enlighten me Please!