Thread: E85 tuning

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by az2k1 View Post
    this week'n Dave tune my boys Cobra w/K.B 2.2L and made 660hp @ 19psi and a 12.5 a/f so we backed it off because lack of fuel so back to the drawing borad .. yes need more fuel ...... but it made power ....
    Look for about a 10% gain over regular gas. What size injectors does he have in the car?
    Sold
    2004 Cobra, Whipple ,TH-400
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Silver Award 
    Jeff, not to be a dick, but you'd be amazed with how readily Ethanol absorbs water. Ethanol is one of many things I use in the lab and it's something that we frequently have issues with becoming contaminated with water. Same reason why it's VERY difficult to obtain pure ethanol through distillation. For you so called internet smarties I'll let ya figure out how you can obtain pure ethanol...good luck keeping that pure as well.

I don't care what BS you see posted up on the internet from other sources backing or calling the absorption of water a MYTH, I assure you it is not as I deal with it in the lab (With Ethanol because I use it heavily in the lab as well as other chemicals). Anyone know what happens when dealing with DNA and your not using a high enough concentration of ethanol because your ethanol was either improperly diluted or one of the retards in the lab left the lid off...

When that ethanol sits in the storage tanks it is will absorb water just as gasoline and diesel do in ground tanks and during transport, etc. The only difference is that this will be much more readily absorbed when exposed.

Just as I'd only buy race fuel out of the drum, the same would be said about E85. While I think it is a great fuel in some aspects, I think there are some problems with running it, especially in cars not originally setup to run the fuel. (A FFV has sensors to determine the ethanol content and adapt the change in fuel. This is important because use of E85 in a car not originally made to run on the fuel cannot make these changes. Something I'd personally like to have as the E85 blends are not as consistent as your typical gasoline mixtures).

On a FFV, go ahead and run the E85, just change your filter often if you switch back and forth regularly between regular gas and E85. For your average vehicle I think it's fine. But on a performance vehicle, I'd like a little more consistency if I were gonna run it daily and I'd demand it if I was going to tune the car to run hard on the fuel.
    ~Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by BurnTire View Post
    Look for about a 10% gain over regular gas. What size injectors does he have in the car?
    he has 60lbs injectors ...the car was going lean so it was not safe ...
    he made 550hp @19psi on 91 oct.......

03 motor w/stage 3 cams ,JLT c.a.i,BBK o/r X pipe,Tri-Ax,C.C U/L flywheel ,
    Competition Clutch, I.R.S 31 spline w/4:10's,SCT tuner,Eibach sport line,tokico, .....

NEW set up
    S/C 17psi 462HP 505TQ....

11.76@116 1.63 60ft.

he has 60lbs injectors ...the car was going lean so it was not safe ...
    he made 550hp @19psi on 91 oct.......
    He will need 80's and a bump to (50PSI on the delta pressure). What does he have fuel pump wise?
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Silver Award 
    OK, you guys have sold me, I'm going propane

Quote Originally Posted by Rev'n Kevin View Post
    OK, you guys have sold me, I'm going propane
    Ahh yes an ingredient of Nitromethane.
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5

Quote Originally Posted by BurnTire View Post
    He will need 80's and a bump to (50PSI on the delta pressure). What does he have fuel pump wise?
    yeah he's going 80's and single pump .....should be done hopefully in by the new year so that the tune can retune .........

03 motor w/stage 3 cams ,JLT c.a.i,BBK o/r X pipe,Tri-Ax,C.C U/L flywheel ,
    Competition Clutch, I.R.S 31 spline w/4:10's,SCT tuner,Eibach sport line,tokico, .....

NEW set up
    S/C 17psi 462HP 505TQ....

11.76@116 1.63 60ft.

yeah he's going 80's and single pump .....should be done hopefully in by the new year so that the tune can retune .........
    Single pump return system?
    Sold
    Burning Corn
    9.97 - 135.5