PDA

View Full Version : Testing Starter Out of Car

4Jenna
08-11-09, 06:34 PM
I'm trying to verify my mom's starter isn't the culprit of her car not starting. My question is with the starter out of the vehicle I gave the starter power and a ground source, I then jumped the small terminal.
The starter gear pops out, but the starter does not turn. I thought the gear should also spin.

Gear pops out, seems like it trys to turn as it makes a loud clack clakc clack noise but gear never turns.

Is this normal?
Checker tested the starter good, but the solenoid portion came back n/a. This starter has the solenoid as one like a sn95 starter.

Lucafu1
08-11-09, 10:05 PM
the starter should pop and spin.

try it again and tap it with a hammer. see if that will get it to spin. actually im seeing a lot of starters going out due the heat.

fazm
08-11-09, 10:17 PM
the starter should pop and spin.

try it again and tap it with a hammer. see if that will get it to spin. actually im seeing a lot of starters going out due the heat.

+1

just had a pt cruiser towed in as i was closing, pretty sure it needs a starter, ill check it in the am

4Jenna
08-12-09, 06:55 PM
I beat it good initially when it was still in the car

5.0Stanger
08-13-09, 09:00 PM
The gear popping out just proves the solenoid is throwing the gear out. It has to send power to spin it, too. Is the starter fairly old?

4Jenna
08-13-09, 09:26 PM
Its stock from 00'

The new starter does the same thing, lol I must be an idiot.

Lucafu1
08-13-09, 11:07 PM
check your ground. if your ground isnt rightorgood enough then thats what it will do.

5.0Stanger
08-16-09, 08:56 PM
check your ground. if your ground isnt rightorgood enough then thats what it will do.
The ground is a possiblilty. Good idea.