PDA

View Full Version : Headlight covers, arizona violation

Stangme
03-04-09, 02:46 PM
HEADLIGHT COVERS

Today about 30-minutes ago I was pulled over by Arizona's finest, Department of Public Safety and was told that driving my car with headlight covers on it is against the law here in Arizona, it violates 28-941.4. As I was able to pull my covers off on the spot, he only gave me a WARNING / EQUIPMENT REPAIR ORDER.

Pass this on to those with covers or tint over their lights.

28-941.4 READS AS FOLLOWS:
A person shall not operate a motor vehicle with a colored transparent or translucent substance or material installed, affixed or applied on or in front of the head lamps, the auxiliary driving lamp or the auxiliary passing lamp or combinations of the head lamps, driving lamp or passing lamp that would obstruct, reduce or interfere with the visibility or effectiveness of the head lamps or that would change the color of light emitted. This paragraph does not prohibit the placement of clear transparent material mounted in front of the head lamps, fog lamps or auxiliary driving lamps.

ASUSMC
03-04-09, 03:39 PM
Its actually not illegal. All that matters is what color they illuminate. If they illuminate just fine and stay the same color they are perfectly legal.

El Jefe
03-04-09, 04:45 PM
Got pulled over for a smoked lic plate cover and ticketed for that. Drove my Roush for 2.5 years with black headlight covers. Never pulled over for those....

9 times out of 10 youll get a warning or theyll make you take them off. Put them back on when you get home, just hope you dont run into the same officer again....

wickedcobra
03-04-09, 08:08 PM
Are you suprised?? Thats Az for ya, even the darn license plate brackets are illegal now.

Mr. Austin
03-04-09, 08:21 PM
its the stupid people that have nothing better to do than make our lives worse.. what is it hurting to make our cars that much more custom? honestly..

Stangme
03-04-09, 08:27 PM
its the stupid people that have nothing better to do than make our lives worse.. what is it hurting to make our cars that much more custom? honestly..

It's really all about safety so you can see well and others can see you at night, during dust storms, during thunder storms, fog etc... You can have them on for car shows etc but not when operating the vehicle

Mr. Austin
03-04-09, 08:32 PM
hmm still their visibilearnt they? lol and at east they are pop offs

ttocs
03-04-09, 10:35 PM
I have my lights lightly smoked, not dark but just a hair.......

Jacostang
03-05-09, 08:16 AM
Well I had them on my 89 when I drove back and forth to Cali and got pulled over by CHP and they told me to take them off, I complied but put them back on later..

ttocs
03-05-09, 09:09 AM
I was thinking last night, is a trailer ball now illegal since it would block a license plate.

HIKER
03-05-09, 07:21 PM
I talked with a woman last year that got her ticket reversed in court because she had noted on the police report she couldn't see the brake lights on the car she rear-ended because it had dark tinyed covers on them. The cop told her to argue it in court and she did.

I've seen some dark lens covers that make brake lights very hard to see.

That's just an open invite to get rear ended.

Mr. Austin
03-09-09, 06:12 PM
yeah but a law to ban them? how abut a certain depth of darkness? like limo tint is illegal. why cant they do that?

mntony
03-09-09, 09:45 PM
Just remember, the police don't make the laws...they just enforce them. There are plenty of stupid laws on the books you can get slapped with if they want to but most cops aren't just out to harrass people. Having said that there are a few...