PDA

View Full Version : GM to file Chapter 11

Jacostang
02-14-09, 02:02 PM
Here we go, down but hopefully not out....

http://uk.reuters.com/article/marketsNewsUS/idUKN1425572520090214

CPViolation
02-14-09, 03:11 PM
I hope not.
My age brand loyalty used to mean something.
Still, without GM, MOPAR and Ford there will not be the competition as it has been through the years.
I truly hope all three make it. I look forward to huffing, puffing and blowing the doors off that odd looking car named the 2010 Camaro.
Jeff

maddme
02-14-09, 04:17 PM
That would be a sad day in the automobile world if that truely happens.

Jacostang
02-14-09, 04:20 PM
Makes ya feel really good about owning a Toyota, Nissan or a Honda....

CPViolation
02-14-09, 04:32 PM

Considering Honda imports the parts from Japan and then are assembled in Marysville Ohio... I guess it keeps some folks employed.
Isn't Toyota's design center located in Long Beach California or somewhere close?
You can't blame the Japanese for being slick. GM execs showing up in Lear jets to beg for money strikes a nerve with me...
I've owned one Japanese car since I first got my license in 1971. 1983 Celica GTS. At 105 HP it was one of the faster cars on the road at a time when no one in their right mind would buy an American car.
The (Barf) K car started the ball rolling in the other direction..
There are no excuses this time.
The bean counters said build more Suburbans and Explorers.
Who can we point the finger at this time?
Jeff

Torchmach
02-14-09, 04:49 PM
Chapter 11 might be the best thing for GM. The bankruptcy Judge can direct them to trim alot of fat. I feel for the Workers though, there could be a big back and forth, with the Unions, working things out before GM emerges from Chapter 11.

ttocs
02-14-09, 05:27 PM
so what is everyones take on the auto unions? I had a buddy that got on with chrysler over 10 yrs ago and I remember bieng amazed at what they paid their people for entry level help.

AZSonicSnake
02-14-09, 08:19 PM
I hope not.
My age brand loyalty used to mean something.
Still, without GM, MOPAR and Ford there will not be the competition as it has been through the years.
I truly hope all three make it. I look forward to huffing, puffing and blowing the doors off that odd looking car named the 2010 Camaro.
Jeff

gotta agree whole heartedly with this post. good stuff man.

HanksGT
02-14-09, 11:17 PM
I think its time for the unions to step back. And now they're unionizing some state offices in Phoenix? Great.

so what is everyones take on the auto unions? I had a buddy that got on with chrysler over 10 yrs ago and I remember bieng amazed at what they paid their people for entry level help.

Bandit
02-15-09, 09:51 AM

I guess it's okay if you put an American flag in the back window...right?

wickedcobra
02-15-09, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I agree. It's time to break the union but it wont happen.

HIKER
02-15-09, 11:16 AM
Sorry man, if I was an extremely proud follower of the big three I'd be very pissed at them. Very pissed that they let outside companies walk all over them for superior products. Have we all forgotten 1977, when more cars were recalled in that year then built. That's mind blowning to think about. I remember the lemons my dad owned and all the trips downtown to the dealers to get things fixed. No wonder outside auto builders saw a chance and opportunity to move in. I do the same thing in my business when I see a potential client receiving an inferior report/product. I promiss them a superior product that doesn't come back 30-60-90 days later and bite them in the butt.

You don't just sit on your ass or on the high horse, you change your game plan and build a better product and get consumer confidence back.....and in the big three's case, they're about a decade too late.

Sure they have some some nice cars out now except for maybe the Ford Ranger and Chevy Colorado, but it will take another decade for these cars to prove themselves to the public.

It's a sad picture to the world when billionaire CEO's have to get on their kness and beg their govt for money....sad day indeed...

HIKER
02-15-09, 11:18 AM

+1.....

BurnTire
02-15-09, 11:36 AM

The average auto worker makes $28 an hour. Hardly big dollars, but a livable wage.

CPViolation
02-15-09, 03:25 PM
The average auto worker makes $28 an hour. Hardly big dollars, but a livable wage.
I'm not sure what skill level autoworkers have. Technicians in the Silicone valley make about $30.00 an hour.
That's after spending a long time in school. You should get paid by your skill level not what the unions can milk employers for.
$28.00 an hour = $17.00-$18.00 in the bay area.
Yea, you have to put effort into making decent money not thinking since your father, grandfather.. have x amount of time vested in GM, Ford or Mopar. you DESERVE $40.00 an hour.
I went back to school when I was 30 because I was at the top of my pay scale. I was complacent thinking I could support a wife and two daughters on the wages I was earning.
It seems fair to me that it takes some effort on your part..
Jeff

wickedcobra
02-15-09, 07:11 PM

Its not the guy who is working thats the problem or the hourly wage. Its the guys who by contract show up to work even if there is no work. Gets paid like the rest of them. The benefits are also a bit overboard. If I recall right, the japanese automakers make a pretty good car with out the union.

Ruckus46gt
02-15-09, 07:18 PM
all american car company's messed up giving the unions to much. They pay out so much damn money to retired people its not even funny.

Jacostang
02-15-09, 07:34 PM
Your right about the retired workers but their pension plans are keeing families afloat. My wifes Grandfather and his two sons all worked for GM and after 35 years they were rewarded with a nice pension. They say that the pension and insurance for the UAW is what is draining on the companies. I dont understand that the UAW refused to cut wages a bit to help out the entire workforce. What good is your pension if the company goes under..... Makes no sense what so ever....

Speaking of the 70's..
Quality was an issue for quite a while with many brands including the 76 Celica which was awarded on of the most dangerous cars around so it was all over the place...

Still you will never ever ever see a Honda, Nissan or Toyota in my garage and both my boys understand that......If you can buy a Ford then you better have a Chevy or a Dodge.

AZSonicSnake
02-15-09, 07:53 PM

livable? haha. wow. i must live at a severe level of poverty....:laughing:

HanksGT
02-15-09, 08:01 PM
I agree. I look around and see multiple import brands in everyones driveway. Hmm, where did the profits go? Overseas! Like former President Bush saying sending our help desk jobs overseas wouldn't hurt the economy-sure it won't. If I find a product has overseas support, I return it.

Still you will never ever ever see a Honda, Nissan or Toyota in my garage and both my boys understand that......If you can't buy a Ford then you better have a Chevy or a Dodge.

ttocs
02-15-09, 09:03 PM
I'm not sure what skill level autoworkers have. Technicians in the Silicone valley make about $30.00 an hour.
That's after spending a long time in school. You should get paid by your skill level not what the unions can milk employers for.
$28.00 an hour = $17.00-$18.00 in the bay area.
Yea, you have to put effort into making decent money not thinking since your father, grandfather.. have x amount of time vested in GM, Ford or Mopar. you DESERVE $40.00 an hour.
I went back to school when I was 30 because I was at the top of my pay scale. I was complacent thinking I could support a wife and two daughters on the wages I was earning.
It seems fair to me that it takes some effort on your part..
Jeff

You must know some upper level techs. After 8 yrs at intel I was up to $20 an hr. They have not given crap for raises in the last 7 yrs. I would love $28 an hour, or any job for that fact now......

CPViolation
02-16-09, 08:33 AM
You must know some upper level techs. After 8 yrs at intel I was up to $20 an hr. They have not given crap for raises in the last 7 yrs. I would love $28 an hour, or any job for that fact now......
I started as an electronics/computer tech. Eight years in field service. Then I got a job offer from Stanford Linear Accelerator Center.
I fell into the radiation field by accident which uses high voltage and control circuits for most radiation detection devices.
Needed more education. So back to school. I was a one man calibration department. Also did some calibration for Lo Alamos. Designed portable Gamma/Neutron mobile stations and peripheral monitoring stations. That would of never happened if I didn't go back to school. SLAC flew me to different locations like Boulder, Co. (Rocky Flats) and Las Vegas (UNLV) to learn the latest and greatest. I did some work that ended-up being used by our government. I signed a non-disclosure agreement so I will never see a penny or get any kudos for the work. That's cool, I feel like I did my part. ;)
Radiation techs make ~$30.00 and hour. If you've past the NRRPT even more. http://www.nrrpt.org/ I made a little more for the work I did.
http://www.nukeworker.com/
Jeff