PDA

View Full Version : AZ emission laws

SloSVO
12-07-08, 10:43 AM
Hello all, I was curious on what the emission laws are in AZ.. At first i thought they were more lax than ca. but It seems like the tests are performed by the state.. In Ca. they are run by private parties and lets to having one eyed closed during the test..

How does a KB 04 cobra pass the smog test over there? whats the prcedure?

And what a bout a Carb'd 85 Mustang?

thanks..

fazm
12-07-08, 10:58 AM
Hello all, I was curious on what the emission laws are in AZ.. At first i thought they were more lax than ca. but It seems like the tests are performed by the state.. In Ca. they are run by private parties and lets to having one eyed closed during the test..

How does a KB 04 cobra pass the smog test over there? whats the prcedure?

And what a bout a Carb'd 85 Mustang?

thanks..

the 04 will go up against an obd2 test. as long as there are no codes stored in the computer, and all the readiness monitors are set, you will pass.

the 85 will go against the tailpipe sniffer on the dyno. they will fail you for .01 over, they are very stingy

SloSVO
12-07-08, 11:01 AM
so the obd2 cars.. there is no visual test? you can roll in the twin turbos on a 03 cobra and as long as it passes the obd2 test your golden?

I'm better off keeping the 85 registered here then..

fazm
12-07-08, 11:20 AM
mine went through no probs, and it doesnt even have cats on it, and modified vacuum line around the egr valve

SloSVO
12-07-08, 12:00 PM
oh shitz.. that sweet.. i plan on turboing my 05.. that why I asked..

But the 85 has no cats, with a holley 650 and no egr.. i think that one is better off being Ca registered..

1966PonyGirl
12-07-08, 12:10 PM
some of the laws have changed..... so if your fox is a collectors car you may be able to by pass emissions.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=61895

ASUSMC
12-08-08, 07:20 AM
A better question to ask is where in AZ are you registering it? Certain county's don't have emissions facilities and do not require a vehicle to pass emissions.

1966PonyGirl
12-08-08, 07:27 AM
oooo! forgot about that!

AZSonicSnake
12-08-08, 07:55 AM
ASUSMC has a point. if your not in maricopa or pinal county, you don't even have to smog it. as for the new car, they can do visuals, but its not likely. i just went through with my 03 cobra, and it has the egr deleted. they just plugged her in, checked for no codes, then rolled me forward and checked the gas cap and i was done! really a waste of time imo, but what can you do. the 85, yeah, that might be some fun to pass here....

ASUSMC
12-08-08, 08:26 AM
The past two vehicles I have taken thru emissions (2000 GT and 2003 Cobra) have not had cats. The GT was supercharged, the Cobra obviously supercharged, both were relatively loud at idle. Neither time did they get on the floor to check and see the cats were there. Just plugged em, started, unplugged and I paid my money.

SloSVO
12-08-08, 09:44 AM
I'm going to be out in buckeye.. i believe that maricopa county..

this is good to hear.. except for the 85.. but that rare car deal sounds like a ggod exit.. its actaully a 85Saleen so maybe i can claim special edition and rarity??

1966PonyGirl
12-08-08, 09:53 AM
I'm going to be out in buckeye.. i believe that maricopa county..

this is good to hear.. except for the 85.. but that rare car deal sounds like a ggod exit.. its actaully a 85Saleen so maybe i can claim special edition and rarity??

as long as you have the collector's insurance for it. the insurer is suppose to report that to the mvd.

OR you can get a 64-66 mustang and not worry about a thing!:biglaugh:

BOOMSHAKALAKA
12-08-08, 10:00 AM
Lets say you fail and have to come back. Do you pay again? Or only pay is you pass?

El Jefe
12-08-08, 11:00 AM
Lets say you fail and have to come back. Do you pay again? Or only pay is you pass?
Yep youd pay twice.

Here in Tucson, If you have an OBD2 port, they check your gas cap and they check for your check engine light. Thats all I had to do...And I didnt have cats...

BOOMSHAKALAKA
12-08-08, 11:05 AM
Yep youd pay twice.

Here in Tucson, If you have an OBD2 port, they check your gas cap and they check for your check engine light. Thats all I had to do...And I didnt have cats...

hmmm i guess i should have tried it. When i bought my car it had an O/R pipe and i bought a new one.... shoulda tried it cuz when i went there it did only seem like they checked my gas cap and that was it....
o well

SloSVO
12-08-08, 11:27 AM
is there a fixed price for the test?

BOOMSHAKALAKA
12-08-08, 12:43 PM
is there a fixed price for the test?

this was a while ago but i thought it was like $27 bucks or something like that

AZSonicSnake
12-08-08, 02:54 PM
i just spent 27.50 on my emissions test. i always thought if you failed the first re-test was free. but that might be old info.... i have never had a car fail, so have not had to look into that.

El Jefe
12-08-08, 03:14 PM
Mine was $11.50 but wrong city....

ThePunisher95
12-09-08, 10:58 AM
How do you go about making a car a collectors car?

SloSVO
12-09-08, 11:18 AM

read the link that ponygirl posted... seems you have to get collectors insurance and has to be 15 years old or older or prove that its a rare car of sorts.. and it can't be your DD..:pinkthumb:

IMSHAKN
12-09-08, 11:25 AM
i just spent 27.50 on my emissions test. i always thought if you failed the first re-test was free. but that might be old info.... i have never had a car fail, so have not had to look into that.

You are correct Tony, you get ONE free retest.

1966PonyGirl
12-09-08, 01:56 PM

here are some links to research....
http://www.hagerty.com/
http://www.grundy.com/

theses are the two i hear about a lot from some of guys at the cruise ins... I do suggest asking your own insurance company if they have that option.

My 1966 is an everyday driver (V8)... what i work out to is 280.00 every six months.... what i find funny is i would pay over 650 every 6 months with a 1995 gutless neon!! A FREEKIN SAFER 4 BANGER CAR!!! i am still trying to figure that one out.

06GT
12-10-08, 01:35 AM
The past two vehicles I have taken thru emissions (2000 GT and 2003 Cobra) have not had cats. The GT was supercharged, the Cobra obviously supercharged, both were relatively loud at idle. Neither time did they get on the floor to check and see the cats were there. Just plugged em, started, unplugged and I paid my money.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit...maybe I'll get a catless x-pipe :noes:

Sqrlnts
12-10-08, 05:45 PM
I recently failed my visual after passing my sniff test. The guy opened the hood while doing the gas cap test. He failed me for modified SMOG equipment. I went home and "reinstalled" my gutted smog pump. Hooked up all the (internally blocked) vac lines and he passed me.........Stupid.........

SloSVO
09-07-09, 08:35 PM
I'm raising this thread from the dead... I now have a 92 Fox 5.0 5M... i need to have it smogged.. what is the procedure for these year cars.. do they check Ignition timing? on the visual.. do open air filters fail? this car has a Pro-m maf and intake tube witha POS open filter at the tip...

Mr. Austin
09-07-09, 09:38 PM
When i went in with my 69. i have headers mufflers and thats all the put the car up to the dyno and the sniffer on the exhaust. i sat in the car with him and they did there thing my passed beyond belief and they checked the gas cap and i was on my way. Stupid bone head thought the car had to have cats though. he asked did 69 have them and i said no. so he insisted he checked. he called around looked under the car after i told him i had exhaust work done. then he mad a fit about how i was supposed to have it and his boss ( a mustang fan +1) took the controls apologized commented my car and i was off. :)

SloSVO
09-07-09, 09:42 PM
do you have one of those 360 degree open air filters or the stock blue air cleaner with the snorkle?

Mr. Austin
09-07-09, 09:51 PM
i used too. now is is just and open 360 filter on a 600 carb.

Jodaddy
09-07-09, 10:37 PM
you can have a 360 air filter i use to have one on my 1980 Firebird when i took it there. After you run through the sniffer on the dyno all they do is look under your hood for any loose ends, hoses that are not connected, bare wires, loose ends etc. Just the dumb shit. Real easy to pass. The hardest part is the sniffer but nothing a little alcohol and retarding the timing cant fix :2thumbs:

SloSVO
09-07-09, 10:39 PM
so they don't hook up a timing light and check the timing?

xsenerg
09-07-09, 10:52 PM
I will be taking my mustang down to retest in a couple days. They do not check timing. They will put your car on dyno rollers and run it through normal driving ranges testing the exhaust. Then they will visually inspect the vehicle for the required emissions components. Then they will perform a fuel system pressurization test. They will want to see your tank and lines hold pressure and then gradually bleed off after a certain pressure. If you pass all tests you will be good to go. Good Luck!!

SloSVO
09-07-09, 10:59 PM
I will be taking my mustang down to retest in a couple days. They do not check timing. They will put your car on dyno rollers and run it through normal driving ranges testing the exhaust. Then they will visually inspect the vehicle for the required emissions components. Then they will perform a fuel system pressurization test. They will want to see your tank and lines hold pressure and then gradually bleed off after a certain pressure. If you pass all tests you will be good to go. Good Luck!!

so a open air filter would be ok?

Mr. Austin
09-08-09, 12:15 AM
yupp.

SloSVO
09-08-09, 08:14 AM

why did your car fail?