PDA

View Full Version : I want to trade!

silver03cobra
08-24-08, 08:22 AM
Mach 1 guys!
I am looking to trade my IRS for your solid.

PM me for info!

Ruckus46gt
08-24-08, 09:47 AM
how come everyone puts mach 1 guys. A gt rear is the same except for gear ratio but not like your going to put a stock rear in the car. Oh yea dont forget you want a rear from a 96-98 cause then you can fit a tire under the car supposedly lol

Wharf Rat
08-24-08, 11:17 AM
how come everyone puts mach 1 guys. A gt rear is the same except for gear ratio but not like your going to put a stock rear in the car.

Actually the brakes are different, too. If you want to keep the larger Cobra discs you need to have the Mach 1 brackets. When I did mine I intentionally went to the GT brackets and discs because it's easier to find drag rims that fit over the smaller GT brakes.

Ruckus46gt
08-24-08, 11:20 AM
Actually the brakes are different, too. If you want to keep the larger Cobra discs you need to have the Mach 1 brackets. When I did mine I intentionally went to the GT brackets and discs because it's easier to find drag rims that fit over the smaller GT brakes.
true thats what i'm thinking he is going for a drag set up and drag rims why else loose the irs.

silver03cobra
08-24-08, 02:43 PM
I got killed by my friends 380 hp 97 cobra.... from a 10mph.... so much wheel hop! lol

Wharf Rat
08-24-08, 05:32 PM
I hated that POS IRS from the day I bought that car. About 1/3 of my runs at the strip were abouted by the time I hit the 60 ft mark because of wheel hop till I got rid of that crap.

Something to think about, even if you find a Mach 1 to trade with and it is stock, you aren't coming out too far ahead. The control arms are crap and the stock 28 spline axles will turn into prezzles with your power. The only parts you really get to keep are the exhaust hangers and the housing itself.

I had DTS build me an 8.8 with welded tubes, 31 splines, Eaton Posi, and 3.73s for about $1800. Then I had to blow another grand on a catback, control arms, and a few odds and ends. It was expensive but well worth it. At the time the going price for a Cobra IRS was about a grand so I did recover some of it.

The swap was worth ever nickle. Also, you save well over 100 lbs, too.

TorchedMach1
08-24-08, 06:40 PM
Hey man I might have a fully built rear end coming outta my Mach here real soon. It will include calipers, caliper brackets, drilled and slotted rotors, and already has extended Moroso studs. Also the brakes are GT brakes so no issues with clearing 15" drag rims. Here's a link to my thread:

http://www.highperformancestangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6625

I wouldn't want to trade, but I'm only looking to get $1,000 outta the rear end. You could sell your IRS and come out almost even. I will prolly have Bassani Catback to go along with it as well. PM me if your interested.

About2Bite
08-25-08, 12:04 AM
So you are replacing the IRS with a solid rear bc of the wheel hop? Have you looked into replacing the bushings? I have been thinking about putting some stronger aluminum bushings in myself to help with the hop. I run Hoosier DR's and they helped a lot but if I get on it hard from a slower roll it'll hop almost every time, and that is not something I want to happen with these tires.

I would go solid if I raced the car or was looking for weight savings but otherwise I don't think I could do it.

Goodluck,

Josh

wickedcobra
08-25-08, 03:22 AM
I love my Solid Axle. Went with the 96-98 and I can fit whatever tire I want under it. I still run the cobra rear brakes and have a 15" rim with 11.5 ET streets on it and no rubbing at all.

Best of all no wheel hop. If you do it I really recommend the Mega Bite Jr. LCA, I had solid mount UPR at first and it rode like ass and traction was an issue. Dan and the guys at PSR hooked me up with the Mega Bite Jrs and it was a world of difference.

wickedcobra
08-25-08, 03:23 AM
I wouldn't want to trade, but I'm only looking to get $1,000 outta the rear end. You could sell your IRS and come out almost even. I will prolly have Bassani Catback to go along with it as well. PM me if your interested.

Thats 1 heck of a deal......:yes:

silver03cobra
08-25-08, 06:55 PM
Explain built...

I might have my IRS sold

TorchedMach1
08-25-08, 07:38 PM
Explain built...

I might have my IRS sold

Moser 31 spline axles, 31 spline Cobra diff with carbon fiber clutch pack (built very tight with extra clutch's added) Pro 5.0 4.30 gears, welded axle tubes, and complete GT brakes. This was built by PSR.

This rear end can handle 1.4x 60's. I've only had it at the track twice. Once on the motor and once on the bottle. Less than 6 passes on this rear end.