PDA

View Full Version : 5.4 Lightning motor swap

OH3MGSVT
08-04-08, 02:46 AM
Well I plan on buying an old sn95 to make into a project/race car. I have seen numorous photos/videos of people doing the lightning motor swap in their cars. Anybody know how difficult/expensive this swap would be? I think it would be pretty neat to pull off...Only thing is I dont know of any hood that would clear it without cutting a hole in it....or no hood at all. Which raises another question...does anybody make a custom manifold for the lightning to make the height not as tall? Or like possibly putting 4v heads and mounting a 03/04 cobra supercharger on there? If this seems to be like an impossible project I will just build up a pushrod motor for it. Just weighing out some options...

Ruckus46gt
08-04-08, 04:34 AM
going to need to cut the stock hood. 4v heads will fit on it but then the blower wont. If serious best bet would be to build a aviator motor and do a turbo or centri blower. Motor will fit with a 2.5-3" cowl. I know someone who did a forged L motor in a calif crown vic. Car put down a little over 600 to the tire and moved out in the 1/4

ttocs
08-04-08, 11:25 AM
there is one on craigslist right now. I think $5k?

OH3MGSVT
08-04-08, 01:14 PM
going to need to cut the stock hood. 4v heads will fit on it but then the blower wont. If serious best bet would be to build a aviator motor and do a turbo or centri blower. Motor will fit with a 2.5-3" cowl. I know someone who did a forged L motor in a calif crown vic. Car put down a little over 600 to the tire and moved out in the 1/4

hmm, the aviator is a 4.6 4v isn't it? What was all done to that guys forged L motor as far as mods? Oh, and I was gonna ask you what was all done to that Red Saleen vert that ran that 11.2 with the saleen blower? That thing moved out for a vert!

I would like to do a 5.4 just for the "wow" factor because not many people do it. But then again I dont want an overly expensive project. Thats the only thing I hate about mustangs, there are so many options you cna do to go fast I cant decide on which one lol

OH3MGSVT
08-04-08, 01:15 PM
there is one on craigslist right now. I think $5k?
Whats on craigslist for $5k?

Ruckus46gt
08-04-08, 03:36 PM
hmm, the aviator is a 4.6 4v isn't it? What was all done to that guys forged L motor as far as mods? Oh, and I was gonna ask you what was all done to that Red Saleen vert that ran that 11.2 with the saleen blower? That thing moved out for a vert!

I would like to do a 5.4 just for the "wow" factor because not many people do it. But then again I dont want an overly expensive project. Thats the only thing I hate about mustangs, there are so many options you cna do to go fast I cant decide on which one lol
nope aviator is a 4.6, you can get the engine for a decent price. The aviator intake is going to be what pushes you close to hitting but man does an aviator intake help the car up top (even on a 4.6 its a cheap swap). boss330 might sell ported ones also. I didnt know if that car was still around or not, but there is one on ebay as he said, but i'm leary about that one
here you go from kar kraft

2003 4.6 32valve Aviator Engine
16,346 miles
$2895.00 sku# KK12090
ON SALE!!! $2395.00

OH3MGSVT
08-04-08, 11:13 PM
Eh maybe Ill save me the hassle and just buy an 03 cobra motor/tranny instead of trying to build one. Just like that other guy is with the saleen is doing.

chewbaccajones
08-05-08, 10:18 AM
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500356

OH3MGSVT
08-05-08, 11:13 AM
damn not too abd of a deal. $6,000 for pretty much everything but a tranny. Do you think it would be cheaper to buy a long block and then just buy the eaton for it seperatley? I saw a couple cobra longblocks (some had piston damage) for like $2,500