PDA

View Full Version : Car alarm question

Sqrlnts
07-24-08, 12:03 AM
Need to look at getting an alarm for the car, just not sure what I need. Last time I bought an alarm I was A$$ raped by Cronic, won't do that again. Anyone have any advice on features or shops they trust?
Thanks!!

About2Bite
07-24-08, 03:02 AM
Well stay away from Chronic and Audio Express. I work at Ultimate and we carry DEI alarms. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what shop you take it to, just how experienced the guy working on your car is.

DVSRICK
07-24-08, 05:35 AM
Well stay away from Chronic and Audio Express. I work at Ultimate and we carry DEI alarms. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what shop you take it to, just how experienced the guy working on your car is.

+1 !!! They did mine and had no problems at all. I even spent the extra few bucks and had censers put on the hatch and hood.

Martimus
07-24-08, 07:50 AM
+1 !!! They did mine and had no problems at all. I even spent the extra few bucks and had censers put on the hatch and hood.

+2! :woot1:

Gene
07-24-08, 09:04 AM
DEI any good though?

Sqrlnts
07-24-08, 06:50 PM
I hear ya About2Bite, its the wrench turner that matters.

I think thats a good idea, heres why. On my Tahoe, they broke the hood open cut the neg battery cable then lifted my ENTIRE stereo out of the vehicle. Insurance covered it but my Mustang does not carry those priviledges.

I just want an alarm that will ensure the car is there when I return. I don't need a super duper flashy bling alarm. Just one that works and works well.
Peace

HanksGT
07-24-08, 11:16 PM
I installed a Crimestopper two way alarm (with remote start). If they get the hood open, they're just going to cut the alarm horn (or reach underneath before they open the hood). As soon as it's triggered my keychain beeps up to a mile away. No one else is going to care if my alarm is going off (like when my car got backed into at Fry's) but at least I got out there right away.

I hear ya About2Bite, its the wrench turner that matters.

I think thats a good idea, heres why. On my Tahoe, they broke the hood open cut the neg battery cable then lifted my ENTIRE stereo out of the vehicle. Insurance covered it but my Mustang does not carry those priviledges.

I just want an alarm that will ensure the car is there when I return. I don't need a super duper flashy bling alarm. Just one that works and works well.
Peace

Gene
07-25-08, 09:47 AM
1) if they really want it, they'll take it. 2) if you are worried about them cutting the alarm siren, pay yhe extra 15 bucks for the horn honk relay.

About2Bite
07-25-08, 08:14 PM
1) if they really want it, they'll take it. 2) if you are worried about them cutting the alarm siren, pay yhe extra 15 bucks for the horn honk relay.

Or a battery backup, that way if they cut the power/ground wire to the battery the siren will still be going.

There are a ton of different accessories available for the alarms from power window mods (roll down windows from remote) to proximity sensors (beep or trip alarm when someone enters a "shield" surrounding the car). There are tons of options :pinkthumb:

Josh

Aerosi665
07-25-08, 08:27 PM
Or a battery backup, that way if they cut the power/ground wire to the battery the siren will still be going.

There are a ton of different accessories available for the alarms from power window mods (roll down windows from remote) to proximity sensors (beep or trip alarm when someone enters a "shield" surrounding the car). There are tons of options :pinkthumb:

Josh

Wow this is great news, I had no idea all of this stuff existed. What we you recommend for a stang enthusiest, someone who really cares about their car? I don't want to break the bank, but I will certainly save up for something nice if it works and works well :yes:

BLK03SVT
07-25-08, 10:03 PM
On my GT (in front of my ex's frickin multi million dollar house none the less) they cut my hood latch release and cut the battery cable. Sure wish I would have known abot the battery backup then! Bastards....still pisses me off thinking about it.

About2Bite
07-26-08, 02:57 AM
On my GT (in front of my ex's frickin multi million dollar house none the less) they cut my hood latch release and cut the battery cable. Sure wish I would have known abot the battery backup then! Bastards....still pisses me off thinking about it.

Sucks man, my alarm was not working for about a week and I was too lazy to mess with it and my window got smashed in and they stole a $650 ish Pioneer deck, I was at work for maybe 10 mins. I still want to find those ______.

Wow this is great news, I had no idea all of this stuff existed. What we you recommend for a stang enthusiest, someone who really cares about their car? I don't want to break the bank, but I will certainly save up for something nice if it works and works well :yes:

Well here is my opinion on alarms. There are many ways to go and if you want the best of the best the 2way alarm is the route to take (Buy a lot of AAA batteries). How they work is there is a keypad that lets you know the status of you car, it tells you when the car is being messed with, whether the doors are locked or unlocked, if the door is open, the car is started (if you have remote start), etc etc... This is the type of alarm I have and the only benefit I see from it is I can tell whether I remembered to lock my doors or not by looking at the keypad (I have this issue with thinking I forgot to lock my doors lol even though I always do). The majority of the time I am so far away from the car that the remote is not picking up signal from the brain in the car so I will have no idea if something is happening anyways. The battery backup is nice to give you that piece of mind. The proximity sensor is nice if you have a convertable and don't want someone reaching into your car, or if you have a coupe and don't want people looking through your windows too closely. The power window mods are dumb (I have one and never use it). The trunk pin and hood pin can be beneficial in certain instances. The remote start is completely your call and can now be done on cars with manual transmission because DEI has a new model that works with them and causes no chance for mistakes. Keyless entry is a must. I'm sure i'm missing something and if I were to do it again I would buy a cheap 200 dollar alarm we sell and put that on since it will get the job done for me but some people may want/require more.

As far as Directed, they are a very good alarm company, the best one i've delt with. Stay away from the cheap stuff unless you want issues, you get what you pay for. Audiovox SUCKS.

Directed includes:
Viper
Python
Valet
Clifford
and more

They are all pretty much the same stuff with different names, Viper is no better than Python and Python is no better than Clifford etc.

Hope this helps :pinkthumb:

Josh

Sqrlnts
07-26-08, 03:25 AM
Sucks man, my alarm was not working for about a week and I was too lazy to mess with it and my window got smashed in and they stole a $650 ish Pioneer deck, I was at work for maybe 10 mins. I still want to find those ______.

Well here is my opinion on alarms. There are many ways to go and if you want the best of the best the 2way alarm is the route to take (Buy a lot of AAA batteries). How they work is there is a keypad that lets you know the status of you car, it tells you when the car is being messed with, whether the doors are locked or unlocked, if the door is open, the car is started (if you have remote start), etc etc... This is the type of alarm I have and the only benefit I see from it is I can tell whether I remembered to lock my doors or not by looking at the keypad (I have this issue with thinking I forgot to lock my doors lol even though I always do). The majority of the time I am so far away from the car that the remote is not picking up signal from the brain in the car so I will have no idea if something is happening anyways. The battery backup is nice to give you that piece of mind. The proximity sensor is nice if you have a convertable and don't want someone reaching into your car, or if you have a coupe and don't want people looking through your windows too closely. The power window mods are dumb (I have one and never use it). The trunk pin and hood pin can be beneficial in certain instances. The remote start is completely your call and can now be done on cars with manual transmission because DEI has a new model that works with them and causes no chance for mistakes. Keyless entry is a must. I'm sure i'm missing something and if I were to do it again I would buy a cheap 200 dollar alarm we sell and put that on since it will get the job done for me but some people may want/require more.

As far as Directed, they are a very good alarm company, the best one i've delt with. Stay away from the cheap stuff unless you want issues, you get what you pay for. Audiovox SUCKS.

Directed includes:
Viper
Python
Valet
Clifford
and more

They are all pretty much the same stuff with different names, Viper is no better than Python and Python is no better than Clifford etc.

Hope this helps :pinkthumb:

Josh

Exactly what I wanted to envoke in a thread! USEFUL FIRST HAND INFORMATION!!! Thanks Josh!!! :2thumbs:
Can you tell me what features the above mentioned $200 alarm includes?
How much installed "by someone like yourself"?

About2Bite
07-26-08, 03:44 AM
Exactly what I wanted to envoke in a thread! USEFUL FIRST HAND INFORMATION!!! Thanks Josh!!! :2thumbs:
Can you tell me what features the above mentioned $200 alarm includes?
How much installed "by someone like yourself"?

It's a basic one way alarm, has lock/unlock and another input for trunk pop or something of that nature. It's a Valet alarm and the unit itself is like 70 dollars roughly and the install is about $140 if I remember correctly. The actual alarm unit is not too expensive, it's the labor that makes them so much. They go up from there of course.

And here I thought I was the only one up at this time of the night on HPS :pinkthumb:

BLK03SVT
07-26-08, 08:36 AM
I was told I couldn't do a proximity alarm due to the window tint that I have. Is this true?

Good thread.

HanksGT
07-26-08, 10:31 AM
All great advice. Just make sure the keypad uses AA or AAA, sicne I had one that used expensive hearing aid batteries that were small and required more frequent replacement than my AAA battery equipped unit. I like the 2 way unit, so when I am close enough I know its been tripped. I have the proximity sensor in my vert and it works well. I thought they work on movement, so in a coupe the window would have to be open to be effective. I installed my own in about 10 hours, since I wanted every wire soldered for trouble free operation. 6 years now and still no trouble.

And as stated above-if they want it, they'll get it. An alarm stops or slows down the beginners.

(/quote)Well here is my opinion on alarms. There are many ways to go and if you want the best of the best the 2way alarm is the route to take (Buy a lot of AAA batteries). How they work is there is a keypad that lets you know the status of you car, it tells you when the car is being messed with, whether the doors are locked or unlocked, if the door is open, the car is started (if you have remote start), etc etc... This is the type of alarm I have and the only benefit I see from it is I can tell whether I remembered to lock my doors or not by looking at the keypad (I have this issue with thinking I forgot to lock my doors lol even though I always do). The majority of the time I am so far away from the car that the remote is not picking up signal from the brain in the car so I will have no idea if something is happening anyways. The battery backup is nice to give you that piece of mind. The proximity sensor is nice if you have a convertable and don't want someone reaching into your car, or if you have a coupe and don't want people looking through your windows too closely. The power window mods are dumb (I have one and never use it). The trunk pin and hood pin can be beneficial in certain instances. The remote start is completely your call and can now be done on cars with manual transmission because DEI has a new model that works with them and causes no chance for mistakes. Keyless entry is a must. I'm sure i'm missing something and if I were to do it again I would buy a cheap 200 dollar alarm we sell and put that on since it will get the job done for me but some people may want/require more. (/quote)

About2Bite
07-26-08, 11:08 AM
I was told I couldn't do a proximity alarm due to the window tint that I have. Is this true?

Good thread.

I haven't had any issues with the tinted windows, the metalized tint may cause an issue but i'm not 100% sure.

All great advice. Just make sure the keypad uses AA or AAA, sicne I had one that used expensive hearing aid batteries that were small and required more frequent replacement than my AAA battery equipped unit. I like the 2 way unit, so when I am close enough I know its been tripped. I have the proximity sensor in my vert and it works well. I thought they work on movement, so in a coupe the window would have to be open to be effective. I installed my own in about 10 hours, since I wanted every wire soldered for trouble free operation. 6 years now and still no trouble.

And as stated above-if they want it, they'll get it. An alarm stops or slows down the beginners.

Never seen a 2way that uses one of those flat batteries, I can imagine that would get very annoying after a while.

The proximity sensor will work on a coupe with the windows up as well, I just find them more practical on a vert due to the exposed interior.

Martimus
07-26-08, 12:33 PM
One of the few things I've found that I DON'T LIKE about DEI's 2-way alarm systems is the range of the 2-way keypad. If I arm the alarm in my driveway the 2-way works great. On the other hand if I arm the alarm at my work I'm out of range by the time I get to the front door.