PDA

View Full Version : My chances against an 06' R6?

vicious781
04-06-06, 01:35 AM
Eh...got an 03' Cobra with catback and DR's. My boss got a bran new 06' Yamaha R6 with 1000 miles on the clock and wants to run me. What are my chances against him? He's a new rider, but also I've only had my Cobra for a couple months too. Any predictions or advice?

I will post up what happens when we get this thing done with!

Radeon
04-06-06, 01:50 AM
My guess is that from a roll, you'd get a small jump on him with him flying by shortly there after. Same from a dig. They run high 10's to low 11's stock if Im not mistaken.

50 BMG
04-06-06, 08:44 AM
You'll get stomped either way. If you win then you're racing against a FOB noob.

When my car was still at ~500 rwhp and on BFG DR's I ran one from a 40 roll till the beginning or middle of 4th gear and put mabey a car on him.

It was an 05 model and he took the hit.

89az50
04-06-06, 10:54 AM
i thought they ran bottom 10's but either way you dont have much of a chance if he has any clue how to ride it.

but then again i raced one of my friends with a speed bike (its the bike from top gun, its a 900 and it had some mods done)(i think thats a ninja but i dont remember)(). anyways i raced him and at the time i wasn't the best driver but he only got me by 2-3 cars. so moral of the story is you never know until you race. anything can happen

Radeon
04-06-06, 01:34 PM
i thought they ran bottom 10's but either way you dont have much of a chance if he has any clue how to ride it.

but then again i raced one of my friends with a speed bike (its the bike from top gun, its a 900 and it had some mods done)(i think thats a ninja but i dont remember)(). anyways i raced him and at the time i wasn't the best driver but he only got me by 2-3 cars. so moral of the story is you never know until you race. anything can happen

One of my bros friends has an 05 gsxr1000. It runs low 10's. A zx12 runs high 9's and kawasaki just came out w/ a zx14(175-180rwhp). Supposed to be way faster than a busa. Bikes are fun, but I'd rather have a Cobra any day.

vicious781
04-07-06, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the insight guys! I ran some dude on a bike on an empty 101 (60-120mph) and got him by about 4 lengths about a week ago. I don't know much about bikes, but Im guessing it was abouts a 600cc. Needless to say I was surpised, but yeah, we'll see what happens when my boss breaks his in.

phenix
04-09-06, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the insight guys! I ran some dude on a bike on an empty 101 (60-120mph) and got him by about 4 lengths about a week ago. I don't know much about bikes, but Im guessing it was abouts a 600cc. Needless to say I was surpised, but yeah, we'll see what happens when my boss breaks his in.

he sucks at riding then.

unless your running a 200shot and some other mods like pullys and full exhaust like dan you wont have a prair.

50 BMG
04-09-06, 09:20 PM
he sucks at riding then

Um, no...He wasn't trying to race. Think about it, 4 cars on a bike from a 60-120 roll...that race has a duration of 4 or 5 seconds. Effectively saying he put a car length on unknown bike every second they raced.

120 MPH is barely crackin 3rd gear on these new model bikes.

unless your running a 200shot and some other mods like pullys and full exhaust like dan you wont have a prair.

It ain't a R1...

You don't need those mods to beat an R6 from a 40-150 roll. 520 or so rwhp on a typical 03/04 vs. a stock R6 will be a good race on a 40-150 roll. If they run from a dig the cobra (for all intensive arguments) has no chance.

The Nunn's
05-02-06, 12:12 PM
well i ran benson on drews R1 i was about in the middle of 3rd and by about 135 ish he had me by about two two and a half cars and that was with out the bottle so ya :mrgreen: so just wait till the 300 shot hits the car

phenix
05-02-06, 03:43 PM
well i ran benson on drews R1 i was about in the middle of 3rd and by about 135 ish he had me by about two two and a half cars and that was with out the bottle so ya :mrgreen: so just wait till the 300 shot hits the car

i think it was more then 2 1/2 but i let off once i pulled so far that i didnt care anymore.

:-D

ill re run you anytime youd like

phenix
05-02-06, 03:44 PM
Um, no...He wasn't trying to race. Think about it, 4 cars on a bike from a 60-120 roll...that race has a duration of 4 or 5 seconds. Effectively saying he put a car length on unknown bike every second they raced.

It ain't a R1...

You don't need those mods to beat an R6 from a 40-150 roll. 520 or so rwhp on a typical 03/04 vs. a stock R6 will be a good race on a 40-150 roll. If they run from a dig the cobra (for all intensive arguments) has no chance.

sure, well bring your cobra with those mods and race benny on his zx6r (the black one that was in the video)

and ill garuntee a cobra with the mods said above wont keep up.

The Nunn's
05-02-06, 04:00 PM
i think it was more then 2 1/2 but i let off once i pulled so far that i didnt care anymore.

:-D

ill re run you anytime youd like

what ever friday the NOS goes in i guess i'll just change my name to 2nd2R1

50 BMG
05-02-06, 08:06 PM
sure, well bring your cobra with those mods and race benny on his zx6r (the black one that was in the video)

and ill garuntee a cobra with the mods said above wont keep up.

If you can "garuntee" it, then...

http://tinypic.com/apjx8y.jpg

Looking forward to running your R1 next fall...just stay in your own lane.

The Nunn's
05-04-06, 09:11 AM
ah yes next fall :twisted:

phenix
05-04-06, 12:31 PM
If you can "garuntee" it, then...

Looking forward to running your R1 next fall...just stay in your own lane.

oHHHH big man im sorry i was trying to set up for 3 wide like we were supposed to but you 2 ****s were to stupid to accomplish that.:???:

50 BMG
05-04-06, 12:38 PM
I'm a wimp when it comes to the hot weather and driving these heat trap cobras. Then again, I'm deleting my AC and never used it when I drove the car in the summer anyways.:???:

The Nunn's
05-04-06, 05:55 PM
I'm a wimp when it comes to the hot weather and driving these heat trap cobras. Then again, I'm deleting my AC and never used it when I drove the car in the summer anyways.:???:
you dont need a/c when your going over 200....?

Brakelate
07-16-06, 02:21 AM
I'm a biker at heart, so I was shocked and hate to admit it when I ran into this exact same scenario.

I had just got my '03 and was only running a drop in K&N (stock airbox) and Magnaflow cat-back, when I ran into a couple 600's; a new Gixxer and an Kawi 636 (both stock looking). But, the rider of the Kawi looked like he'd been around the block once or twice, tall thin guy with rashed out 1pc. leathers.

He actually pulled up to me on the -high speed track- and was looking for action. I turned off the A/C and backshifted down into 3rd, thinking this was just for fun. But he let me have the jump, and I pulled him through the top of 4th and put a car length on him! I was shocked, as I had just got the car, and didn't believe it. He wasn't very happy.

He came back and wanted another go... he wasn't cocky this time, and I saw him tap a couple downshifts himself. I hit it again, and 5k in 3rd through the top of 4th, he had slipped from my door back to my rear bumper.

He gave me the nod, and when his buddy (who held back and watched) finally caught up, he had big eyeballs and gave me a healthy thumbs up. Cool guys.

Now, I would have to say from a dig, a race with a small bike vs. a Cobra would depend heavily on traction. On the street, it would be tough to get rolling in a strong car. At the strip on my ZX-12 , I get about a 1.80 60' compared to fast street cars pulling low 1.7's. Faster race cars with 60's down in the -1.5 range have me out to past half-track, then I come steaming by with a killer trap speed. I'm still just getting rolling by the end of the 1/4, with a stock arm and pipe.

Liter bikes (or larger) are gonna be tough on the street, the farther you go, the faster the bike, so you better have a stout car to consider it. My Hayabusa buddy who also owns an honest 11 sec. Cobra just gets flat left when we blast an on ramp on my bike.

End result, my 600+ Hp Cobra pal runs close with my stock 12 at the track in full street trim on slicks, due to his advantage out of the hole. On the street, with any road worthy tire from a roll, I don't think he would have a chance, and if he did, it would be a waaaay spooky ride for him to really air it out on the top end of 150.

In an ironic twist, 600's have a better chance from a standstill (easier to launch), and the liter bikes are better from a roll (fast enough that it won't wheelie). Playing with ZX12's, Hayabusa's or the new 14, you better be packin. If the rider is skilled, it gonna get ugly for the car real quick.

vicious781
07-18-06, 03:19 AM

Yeah, he was racing. His front lifted after I kinda got the jump. I forgot to mention it looked like an older bike, early 90's maybe? He did some wheelies afterwards, but yeah Im sure he would kill me in a fair/well-ridden race. Fun nonetheless. Its looking I will have some mods on before I face my boss and his R6. His bike is just about broken in but I told him to wait until I get pullied.

Im probally going to go with the 2.8 and a GOOD tune, Bassani O/R X, Differential brace (yeah, I should have one allready I know), some ET streets for my extra rims. The big thing is even If I loose, it shouldn't be by much and my boss doesn't really comprehend how good of a race I am going to give him.

In case anyone's wondering, my mods are Ram clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, Bassani Cat-Back, Tuneable Induction CAI. I don't think thats too shabby since I just got the car in FEB.

vicious781
07-18-06, 03:24 AM

After being in Kuwait with consistant heat in the 120's, with 40lb of body armor and equipment in our Hummers, Arizona doesn't seem so bad. I haven't used my AC really either.

50 BMG
07-18-06, 08:31 AM
After being in Kuwait with consistant heat in the 120's, with 40lb of body armor and equipment in our Hummers, Arizona doesn't seem so bad. I haven't used my AC really either.

I don't mind the heat, I just personally wouldn't tote around in a pullied or beter cobra out here from Memorial day through labor day.

Brakelate
07-18-06, 10:21 AM
Its looking I will have some mods on before I face my boss and his R1.

I'm getting all mixed up here, your boss ride an R6 or an R1? And you guys racing at the track or just punching off on the street?

And now that you made it back safe, I would enjoy myself and click on the air, you've earned it! :icon_wink:

vicious781
07-19-06, 12:10 AM
Whoops, I meant R6. We are proball going to go out to the Boonies and get a few runs in from both a roll and a dig. Its going to be somewhere very safe thats all I can really say, no traffic of any kind and no cops. We will take it to the track too one of these days.

Brakelate
07-19-06, 02:07 AM
How much does the rider weigh? You will give him all he can handle, as long as you don't spin the tires.

Keep us posted. I'm looking forward to hearing how this turns out. :icon_cool:

vicious781
07-19-06, 11:14 PM
prolly about 220-240lbs. Yeah, that will help me out too! I have to re-sign with the army this week, and when my bonus check comes in....its moddin' time! I might run him pre-mods then see how I stack up with about 80 more rwhp

Gene
07-20-06, 09:32 AM
prolly about 220-240lbs. Yeah, that will help me out too! I have to re-sign with the army this week, and when my bonus check comes in....its moddin' time! I might run him pre-mods then see how I stack up with about 80 more rwhp
buy a turbo for sure, skip the ported this, twin screw that.

50 BMG
07-20-06, 07:37 PM

I'm still on the fence. I'm waiting for all the turbo cars out here to get all the way done before I make the decision of TS vs. ST

Brakelate
07-20-06, 09:13 PM
prolly about 220-240lbs.

A big guy like that on a 600; you got him covered.

I've yet to see a turbo project car come together. I know several that have tried to build up kits, spent big money on twin turbos and all kinds of stuff, just to have it all evaporate when the shop dissolved.

There are a handfull of strong running single turbo's out there, but they are supported by a huge sponsorship and a full team of tech guru's.

For the "average" guy, I think it's just too far out of reach.

vicious781
07-22-06, 12:01 AM

Yeah, don't think Im going to have it ported. Might as well spend the money on something better. Was thinking Turbo, but thats going to be a little bit. The prices sure are dropping!

BurnTire
07-22-06, 12:15 AM
I did the port then a month later I did the Whipple.
Don't waste your money on a port. I am very happy with the Whipple.
But my goals for the car are to run in the high 10's in full street trim so the Whipple will do, but a turbo will give you much more potential.

JC Turbo
08-06-06, 11:52 AM
I raced a Yamaha R6 on the interstate from a 35 mph roll. He was riding at my door and said, whenever you are ready just go. Well that was the last time I saw him. We went to about 100 mph and I let off. He stayed just off my rear bumper but never came past me.

We got off at the next exit and he was shocked. He never seen it coming and did not think that I had anything for him.

P Machy
08-07-06, 09:26 PM
Stupid me tried to go against a Busa from a dig....not pretty at all. I jumped him a little :angel:, but before I was going to shift into 2nd gear, I see this dude bust out a wheelie & OWN me out right!

Would of had an R6 that the rider was a newbie, if the track wasnt slippery :bash: R6 = 12.6 to my 13.01 @ 70mph.

stieny
08-28-06, 10:00 PM
I don't think you would take him if he knows how to ride that is. I've seen 600's with new riders go mid 12's in the 1/4 which is horrible. My pretty much bone stock 6R (slip-on pipe is all I have in the way of performance) went 11.1 @ 125 with a 1.9 60ft. And I know theres more in her too.

I've only got to race one '03 cobra and it was from like a 60-70 mph roll. '03 cobra had diablo MAF extender, pullied and ported eaton. My front tire was at his back bumber when he and I down shifted. We both jumped on it and I pulled past him and moved over infront of him and let off due to traffic at about 130.

Brakelate
08-29-06, 09:59 AM
The Cobra driver probably downshifted from 6th to 5th. Had he gone down to 3rd at that speed (as he should have) it would have been a different story. Especially with a ported blower.

How much do you weigh, and what gear did you drop down to?

stieny
08-30-06, 03:19 PM
The Cobra driver probably downshifted from 6th to 5th. Had he gone down to 3rd at that speed (as he should have) it would have been a different story. Especially with a ported blower.

How much do you weigh, and what gear did you drop down to?

I probably should have mentioned that. He down shifted atleast twice. Wasn't paying close attention but I know it was atleast twice. He might have been in 3rd, he was up in the revs when we went. I probably downshifted to 3rd or 4th from 6th as well. We both had the revs up when we went. As far as weight, I'm about 165ish.