PDA

View Full Version : vacation

santa_rosa_lt1
03-11-08, 12:10 AM
so my girl and I are planning a trip to phoenix in may.last year we went to Sedona,south mountain,cave creek,oh and i loved famous Dave's in chandler!

this year im thinking the grand canyon,pavilions :woot1:checking out PSR and i don't know what else.what do you guys recommend?she is into native American culture so the herd museum i guess.any suggestions? were looking at may 17-25 if that helps.

AZSonicSnake
03-11-08, 12:27 AM
wow, you have the bases covered! we need to do up a big pavs gathering while you are here though. can't wait to meet ya.

FalconGTHO
03-11-08, 12:36 AM
Allow two days for the South Rim, unless you just want to drive the rim, not hike it. Then Wupatki Natl Monument just north of Flagstaff. And since its right next door, hit Sunset Crater NM. Then to Walnut Canyon NM. Depending on how much time is left, you could fit in Petrified Forest NP. Then come down through Heber, Payson, etc to Scottsdale and hit the Pavs.

santa_rosa_lt1
03-11-08, 01:21 AM
cant wait to meet some svt brothers from the south west.i for got about the west valley show, have to check that out also meter crater.any more tips?

ASUSMC
03-11-08, 08:44 AM
You gonna be driving the L?

I hope to have mine done at that point.

santa_rosa_lt1
03-11-08, 11:27 AM
no we are going to fly in. i love the thought of bring it to az but i i don't want to put those many miles on it.cant wait to see your L and the new secret power plant.

chewbaccajones
03-11-08, 09:09 PM
The drive from Jerome to Prescott is awesome. Jerome is a pretty cool little town high in a mountainside with a good view of pretty country. It is also a small hippie/artist town.

AZSonicSnake
03-11-08, 09:16 PM
mingus mountain FTW!! good call man!!!

chewbaccajones
03-11-08, 09:17 PM
That's what it is, Mingus. Could not remember.

Hell, that would be a cool cruise to take with a big mustang caravan.

FalconGTHO
03-12-08, 01:54 AM
Ahh, that changes things then if youre flying in. So, on the way north to the Grand Canyon, theres Montezuma Castle NM then Montezuma Well NM. You said last time you did Sedona. But, if you didnt drive north from Sedona, you need to this time so you can carve Oak Creek Canyon on SR 89. Then on to Flagstaff, then Williams to spend the night. Grand Canyon the next day. If youre not hiking the rim, back to Flag that night. Next day is Wupatki NM, then Sunset Crater, then Walnut Canyon. Then on east to Petrified Forest. On the way there is Homolovi Ruins State Park. Also Meteor Crater, but really its a waste. 15$ to get in. Its privately owned and I never have liked that. It should be a National Monument. You dont get to hike to the bottom and self hikes on the rim were discontinued several years ago. Theres an hour guided hike that goes about a quarter of the way around the rim now. Stay the night in Holbrook. Next day is Petrified Forest NP. A FAR better value than Meteor Crater. Then back to Phoenix. Come back on I 40 then back down 89 so you get BOTH sides of carving up Oak Creek Canyon. Stay on 89 to Cottonwood, Clarkdale. Now you could stay the night there and ride the Verde Canyon Railroad or just keep on to Jerome. Youll need to allow at least a half day for Jerome. Then its up and over Mingus Mountain to Prescott then east to Prescott Valley and back to I 17 to Phx.

FalconGTHO
03-12-08, 02:09 AM

Yep. Nine of us from 2005Stang.com did it last Nov 3. Dave (fazm) was with us in his now departed 03 Cobra because his V6 wasnt travel ready at the time.

I want to go back for sure, but to have the best chance at enjoying the road like it should be, it would have to be a height of summer, middle of the week trip because the traffic was just crap. Its NOT fun crawling along behind old farts in Buicks, timid SUV Yuppies and RVs.

santa_rosa_lt1
03-12-08, 02:41 AM
WOW FalconGTHO thanks for recommending all those great places!

AZSonicSnake
03-12-08, 09:25 AM

not gonna lie, i totally dig where your going with this....:biglaugh:

chewbaccajones
03-12-08, 01:39 PM
well I may just put a post in the 'cruise' section to guage interest.

Actually, isn't there a cruise to Prescott on Apr 6th?

AZSonicSnake
03-12-08, 01:42 PM
yup...that there is...i dunnoif i can make that with all the stuff going on saturday...but i am gonna try...

Jacostang
03-12-08, 01:50 PM
Tonto Natural Bridge, just north of Payson is great!!

chewbaccajones
03-12-08, 01:54 PM
yup...that there is...i dunnoif i can make that with all the stuff going on saturday...but i am gonna try...

we will have to do an mingus cruise when the valley starts to heat up.

FalconGTHO
03-12-08, 09:41 PM
WOW FalconGTHO thanks for recommending all those great places!

Sure thing. I love this state. Everyone who likes cool scenery needs to come here. The only thing this state doesnt have is a beach. But that pales in comparison to the Grand Canyon and all the other cool chit we have here.

If only you had more time you could work in Canyon De Chelly, Four Corners and Monument Valley. Next year perhaps.

FalconGTHO
03-12-08, 09:48 PM
we will have to do an mingus cruise when the valley starts to heat up.

Yep. Height of summer to weed out the tourist traffic. A mid week trip would be best, but thats not feasible logistically.

santa_rosa_lt1
03-13-08, 02:02 AM
Tonto Natural Bridge, just north of Payson is great!!just added to the things were going to do thank you.

santa_rosa_lt1
03-13-08, 02:08 AM
Sure thing. I love this state. Everyone who likes cool scenery needs to come here. The only thing this state doesnt have is a beach. But that pales in comparison to the Grand Canyon and all the other cool chit we have here.

If only you had more time you could work in Canyon De Chelly, Four Corners and Monument Valley. Next year perhaps.
this might the last time ill be going to AZ for a few years,your next trip is going to be in Peru looking at the machu picchu.

i enjoyed living in AZ and now that im making more then $7.60 an hour i can actually enjoy what the valley has to offer.are you a
az native?

FalconGTHO
03-13-08, 09:41 PM
are you a
az native?

Nope. Moved here in mid May 93. And while I had seen the Grand Canyon before I moved here, I only FINALLY saw it again this past May. Along with all the other things I mentioned.

santa_rosa_lt1
05-17-08, 04:32 AM
im gonna be there tomorrow! hope to see some of you guys! ill be in the rental car :( kinda look like this :shocker: but brown

Classic67
05-17-08, 03:25 PM
so my girl and I are planning a trip to phoenix in may.last year we went to Sedona,south mountain,cave creek,oh and i loved famous Dave's in chandler!

this year im thinking the grand canyon,pavilions :woot1:checking out PSR and i don't know what else.what do you guys recommend?she is into native American culture so the herd museum i guess.any suggestions? were looking at may 17-25 if that helps.

Plan on taking some time in Flagstaff to check out the various Indian Art shops downtown. My friend Jonathan Day has kachina carver demonstrations at his place. Visit www.traditional hopikachinas.com. Have a safe trip.

santa_rosa_lt1
05-18-08, 06:45 PM
cool im gong to leave tuesday morning and will theck that out. thank you. sofar i hve been to the apache junction ghost town and were going to famous daves tonight around 6:30-7 ish. cant wait to see you guys at the stage3 open house.

Mr. Austin
05-18-08, 06:50 PM
if you dont mind a hike a have a beautifull 4 mile hike to the bottom of a mountain and at the end is a broken damn if your ballsy enough to jump off of or you can walk to the bottom. the damn is about 60 ft tall. i actually just got back from there. the damn used to be used as a generator untill the flumes broke and it just sat. it called fossil creek

santa_rosa_lt1
05-18-08, 06:54 PM
ill check it out,thanks for the tip :pinkthumb:

p.s. i cant swin though :redface:

Mr. Austin
05-18-08, 10:09 PM
np!! it not to deep in a pond that a creek goes into. all natural water falls. and the best part HUGE rope swings.