PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for a helmet

TruBluScreamer
02-05-08, 06:46 PM
Just wanted to see if anyone had any helmets layin around that might fit my giant dome!! I have no clue what size i wear but im pretty sure its one of the bigger ones.

diehard
02-05-08, 07:55 PM
Just wanted to see if anyone had any helmets layin around that might fit my giant dome!! I have no clue what size i wear but im pretty sure its one of the bigger ones.

Go to ride now which use to be called town, and country, on country club, and baseline, they have a clearance back room, where you can get some nice helmets very cheaply.

BurnTire
02-05-08, 07:56 PM
Lopers in also an option.

TruBluScreamer
02-05-08, 08:05 PM
thanks guys i think there is a ride now in surprise maybe ill check it out the next time im on shift

Ruckus46gt
02-05-08, 08:23 PM
head over the bell around 59th to the yahama dealership etc, I got my mine from there and so did my friends. They have helmets there for 50 dollars snell 2005 approved

TruBluScreamer
02-05-08, 08:59 PM
wow thats pretty damn cheap.

FalconGTHO
02-05-08, 09:43 PM
Take a seamstress tape and wrap it around your head. The front of the tape should be, ehh, an inch or so above your eyebrows. As the tape wraps around, keep it just above your earlobes angling toward the back as it wraps around. You need to know the diameter of your head and get a helmet properly sized. These arent like a pair of socks that you just pull on.

Remember, a motorcycle helmet is made for a different kind of impact than an auto racing helmet.

BurnTire
02-05-08, 09:44 PM
I got mine form Jegs. I have a g-force. It was $275 if I recall.
Cheap and helmet do not go together.
Mine is designed for auto racing.

TruBluScreamer
02-05-08, 09:51 PM
Take a seamstress tape and wrap it around your head. The front of the tape should be, ehh, an inch or so above your eyebrows. As the tape wraps around, keep it just above your earlobes angling toward the back as it wraps around. You need to knwo th ediamter of your head and get a helmet properly sized. These arent like a pair of socks that you just pull on.

Remember, a motorcycle helmet is made for a different kind of impact than an auto racing helmet.

Not sure that they make a measuring tape big enough to fit my dome

Ruckus46gt
02-05-08, 10:40 PM
yea are you looking for auto x type or drag racing. If drag racing the one i posted meets specs for nhra for your et range

IMSHAKN
02-05-08, 10:44 PM

Very true, but I'm sure many of us are guilty of having a motorcycle helmet as our track helmet. Hell, since I already had my motorcycle helmet, it made it easy just to say what the hell, I'll use it for the track as well.

BurnTire
02-05-08, 11:41 PM

santa_rosa_lt1
02-06-08, 02:00 AM
:bananabang: kinda late but here is my helmet http://www.motleycrow.com/ImageHost/helmet.jpg

AZSonicSnake
02-06-08, 11:01 AM
wow, i can haz cheezburger!!! :laughing:

WildBill
02-08-08, 07:26 AM
head over the bell around 59th to the yahama dealership etc, I got my mine from there and so did my friends. They have helmets there for 50 dollars snell 2005 approved
If that has a "M" in the rating, it's NOT legal for drag racing.

TruBluScreamer
02-08-08, 02:23 PM
:bananabang: kinda late but here is my helmet http://www.motleycrow.com/ImageHost/helmet.jpg

Thats genius!!!

TruBluScreamer
02-08-08, 02:24 PM

Good to know thanks

IMSHAKN
02-08-08, 03:23 PM

Surprisingly Fireturd doesn't care about stuff like that.

BurnTire
02-08-08, 03:53 PM
The M being illegal is not correct.

Here are the NHRA rules.

WildBill
02-08-08, 08:16 PM
The M being illegal is not correct.

Here are the NHRA rules.
An M-rated open face helmet is = to a SFI 41.1A and the M-rated full face helmet is = to a SFI 41.2A. No helmet that is DOT rated only will be permitted, is that better?

Here is some info from the SMF web site FAQs:

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
SA Standard was designed for auto racing while M Standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. There are three major differences between them:
SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not;
SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets may not be street legal);
SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.

More confusion!
NHRA 2008 Rulebook Page 107. "For all 9.99 and quicker closed-bodied cars, a full-face SNell M2000, M2005, K98, K2005, SA2000, SA2005, SFI 31.2A, or 41.2A helmet mandatory; shield permitted (goggles prohibited)."

Reading the rule blows sometimes!!!!!
I was told that blanket statement by Grorge Klass of FFW.

Personally I wouldn't wear a M standard helmet for no rollbar impact test or flammability test

BurnTire
02-08-08, 08:33 PM
I agree don't use the M, but some people want to be cheap when protecting their nugget.