PDA

View Full Version : ???? about projection TVs

Indy
11-11-07, 04:32 PM
My wife and I are thinking about buying an RCA R52WH76 projection TV for an early Xmas present to ourselves. Anyone here have one of these TVs, if so have you had any problems? Another thing I was wondering about, can I play video games on this TV? If I remember right you couldn't play games on the older projection TVs, but I'm hoping that isn't the case with the new ones. If anyone knows about these TV's please let know, I would hate to spend the money on one just to find out later that I can't play video games on it.

biglew
11-11-07, 04:39 PM
I have a D52W20 RCA projection TV. I guess I've had it for a couple of years now with no problems. I've been happy with it. It has outlasted my last Phillips projection TV by about a year. I hope this helps. Good luck. Lewis.

Indy
11-11-07, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the info.

Have you played any video games on your TV?

AZSonicSnake
11-11-07, 06:01 PM
you should stop by sometime and check ours out. video games look awesome on it....

fazm
11-11-07, 06:05 PM
is this a DLP or CRT tv?

if its a CRT rear projection its good with video games up to like 35fps, after that im not sure bout the new ones.

if its a DLP rear projection, depending on which one you get, they are good up to 60fps gaming.

Marc
11-11-07, 08:48 PM
Some projection TVs have problems with viewing angles. If you are to the far right or left of the TV, hard to see the TV. Also, lighting can be a factor. Most projection TVs look best when the light is darker in the rooms. If it is a very lighted room, can affect the picture. Now, they might have gotten rid of these issues.

If I was you, I would spend a little more money for a Plasma or a DLP. The prices have came down significantly.

chewbaccajones
11-11-07, 11:07 PM
If I was you, I would spend a little more money for a Plasma or a DLP. The prices have came down significantly.

+1. You can actually pick up a pretty nice plasma @ Cosco for around what that RCA will cost and it can hang on the wall and take up a lot less space.

Trick Pony
11-12-07, 02:37 PM
Go to www.crutchfield.com (http://www.highperformancestangs.com/forums/www.crutchfield.com) to learn the pros & cons of the different techologies.

vicious781
11-12-07, 04:29 PM
Don't forget you have to buy a bulb when it goes out. My moms went out after only 2 years of moderate use and the bulb is 150 bucks. Got a great deal on my 50 in plasma, so Im sure there are some deals out there for bigger ones too.

fazm
11-12-07, 06:54 PM
a $150 bulb is cheaper than a $1000+ tv when ur plasma or lcd goes out.

i got my 57" mits DLP 1080p tv. i can watch it with all the windows open and the sun glaring in with no probs. it runs over 60fps @ 1080p. comes with a bagillion video imputs, and 2 HD receivers. i got a killer deal on it last black friday.

chewbaccajones
11-12-07, 09:40 PM
Also keep in mind that you can get a killer open box deal on sets after xmas and especially after the super bowl. Full warranty and everything.

AZSonicSnake
11-12-07, 09:43 PM
our projection tv has been great since we got it, and we bought it second hand. honestly, i thought the angle thing would be a big deal, but it turns out to not have been.

Marc
11-13-07, 01:11 AM
The new plasma TVs average lifetime are 7-10 years...LCDs are probably longer. Most people are replacing their TVs after that amount of time anyways...I know I do. I have never owned a TV 10 years. There are no issues with burn in as long as you are not stupid. You would have to leave a videogame or CD on pause for 24+ hours. Most TVs have a built in feature to shut the TV off after no activity. Mine does it after 3 hours if the volume or channel is not changed.

I own 2 Plasma TVs (42 and 50 inch) and have zero issues.

Jeremy
11-16-07, 04:09 PM
Have a BIG Toshiba DLP and no issues with any game play or anything. Had it for awhile now with no problems... :hi: